News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

early 1950s inside door handles removal

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, May 19, 2008, 05:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

I have worked a lot on my 1952's Hydro-Lectric window system during the past few years, including cylinders and window glass, and keeping using my car between two operations.

Everytime access to windows hardware is needed, I have to remove door upholstery and therefore inside door handles, then re-install them to use the car.

Removing these handles is a real pain in the neck, because when in place, snap rings are deeply hidden in their grooves, and cannot be reached by the standard handle removal tool I purchased from a well-known U.S. vintage Cadillac parts store. Instead of it I have used either a small screwdriver or a nail or whatever metal piece I can find around, and when the snap ring finally comes out (and sometimes jumps to an unexpectedly far distance) I never know by which chance it did.

I guess similar handles were used at least from 1949 to 1953. Is there a standard procedure to remove them ? Thank you.
1952 60 Special in France.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Philippe,

I've been in the same boat with my 53. I have that same tool, and at best, it works sometimes. Unless ther's some fool proof tool out there somewhere, I think it's the nature of the beast and what your doing is what needs to be done at times. I just make sure I have some spare clips on hand, in case they go flying!

Paul

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

CLC#12231

The problem of removal of door and window handle clips on the earlier GM with a tool made for a modern car comes about because the modern clips are made of thicker wire than the old clips.  Consequently the groves of the new handles are wider and modern tools have a thicker blade that fit in the groove.  The thick blade of the tool is too thick to fit in the thinner grove of the older handles and catch the ears of the clip.  The fix is an easy one.  Take a grinder and grind the thickness of the blades down so that they will fit into the grooves so they can catch the ears of the clip.
Frank

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

The original tool, made by KD was #430, but is no longer made. I still have one I purchased in the 60's while in High School.

Now the good news Lisle tools still makes this tool, is a little different but works well for my 49, 53, and 56. Lisle #35200, Windshield Molding/Door Handle Clip Pliers. I was looking for another hard to find tool when this one went flashing by. So I bought it. Napa was able to order for me, but most auto parts stores carry Lisle.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Philippe M. Ruel

John, thanks a lot for this information :) .

The tool I have is thin enough to fit in the groove, but it is a simple pressed steel sheet (or sh*t ?) that won't catch anything but air

The tool you are referring to is a real pair of pliers, just by seeing it I know it will fit my needs when I get it. Thanks again.

John Morris #23947

After years of parting out countless 50s Caddys, I've come up with the best trick on the planet for removing these clips. Much better than those dumb slide behind tools. See the picture. You can buy cheap sets of scratch awls, about $5 clams per set of 4, with hooked ones in the set. Take the hooked one and it grabs the clip and out it comes!! Even if it just barely moves the clip, then you can hook the backside of the clip with the hook. It's faster and easier than those expensive tools made for the job. Some times you need a drop of oil as they can be corroded in place, and these hooked awls work better for that too! Another method is to slip a shop rag behind the window crank, pull it through, it catches the clip and pulls it off. 
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

jaxops

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on May 23, 2008, 09:37:09 AM
After years of parting out countless 50s Caddys, I've come up with the best trick on the planet for removing these clips. Much better than those dumb slide behind tools. See the picture. You can buy cheap sets of scratch awls, about $5 clams per set of 4, with hooked ones in the set. Take the hooked one and it grabs the clip and out it comes!! Even if it just barely moves the clip, then you can hook the backside of the clip with the hook. It's faster and easier than those expensive tools made for the job. Some times you need a drop of oil as they can be corroded in place, and these hooked awls work better for that too! Another method is to slip a shop rag behind the window crank, pull it through, it catches the clip and pulls it off. 

Beauty John!  I use the same hook with a pair of pre-bent pliers.  Between the hook the catch the ring, and the pliers to hold and pull the end out, I haven't lost one (yet!).
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

John Morris #23947

More Picts.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on May 23, 2008, 09:37:09 AMYou can buy cheap sets of scratch awls, about $5 clams per set of 4, with hooked ones in the set.
$5 ???? :o you must be joking, I can't afford that much.
Instead of it, I recycled an old, bent small screwdriver made of donkeyshoe steel (photo 1), bent it to shape (photo 2), ground it to a round profile(photos 3-4), re-bent it (photos 5-7) using a small torch to soften it and to melt the plastic handle that was pretending to independence (photo 6). The result is something looking like your deLuxe $5 tool.

Philippe M. Ruel

Unfortunately it is too thick to enter the door handle groove (photo 1).
So I ground it again to a thinner, rectangular profile (photos 2-4).
It works perfectly on the bench (photos 5-8), I will test it on a handle on the car this evening.

Time consumption : making the tool, 10 minutes. Taking the pictures using three hands, 10 minutes. Posting in the forum, 30 minutes. 50 minutes without a beer may sometimes be a necessary sacrifice.

@John : thanks for sharing your experience

John Morris #23947

Philippe! Nice work, and you have a better quality tool when finished.

jaxops

Overachiever! 

The best tools are always the ones you make.  Me?  I'd probably burn the house down.

Quote from: Philippe M. Ruel on May 24, 2008, 08:50:24 AM
Quote from: John Morris #23947 on May 23, 2008, 09:37:09 AMYou can buy cheap sets of scratch awls, about $5 clams per set of 4, with hooked ones in the set.
$5 ???? :o you must be joking, I can't afford that much.
Instead of it, I recycled an old, bent small screwdriver made of donkeyshoe steel (photo 1), bent it to shape (photo 2), ground it to a round profile(photos 3-4), re-bent it (photos 5-7) using a small torch to soften it and to melt the plastic handle that was pretending to independence (photo 6). The result is something looking like your deLuxe $5 tool.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Jim Garner

Back in the days before we could afford all these fancy tools or had the experience to fabricate our own tools, we used a hacksaw blade in the pull direction. It worked better than most tools the average guy had in his toolbox. You have to cover the upholstery to avoid snags. We are fortunate to have forums like this.
Jim

52Cadillac

Worth another post. Very good info.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

moto1969

New to this forum.  How can I remove the front fenders off of a 55' Cadillac series 62?  Doors?  Is there literature I can locate?  Thanks.
jemedina

Dan LeBlanc

Rather than bringing up an old thread related to your problem, perhaps you should start a new one.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car