News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

331 engine rear oil/water expansion plugs

Started by Dave Gillingham, May 23, 2008, 06:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gillingham

Hi-

I am trying to finish a rather lengthy rebuild of a 1949 331 engine.  I have it mostly back together, but am a bit confused about what appear to be three openings at the rear of the block.  One of the openings is clearly related to the cam, and I have what I believe to be the correct expansion plug for it (1- 47/64).  Another opening is only about 1/2" in diameter, and it appears to have a plug in it already (evidently when the block was machined they left the original plug), and it appears to be "peened" in at three spots around the perimeter of the opening.  The third opening is more confusing.  It appears that there should be an expansion plug - approximately 1-1/8, but I am not sure.  Will somebody tell me a) what this opening is for, and b) whether an expansion plug is required.

Thanks!

Dave Gillingham

Dave Gillingham

I have uploaded a really bad picture showing the part I am worried about.

Thanks,

Dave Gillingham

Dave Gillingham

OK guys.  I figured it out myself.  The midsized plug to the left of the cam plug is an oil expansion plug.  It is not referenced in the catalog I reviewed at the engine shop.  I found the answer by dissecting a core block I had.  Don't know the exact size, but I measured it at 1.11"

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dave,

Good news to hear that you solved your own problem.

I couldn't help as I have never had one of those.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon