News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

To Johnny: Pickup

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, May 26, 2008, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Dunno... The bed's not long enough? Anyhow, with four doors and and the triangular bracing, it just don't look like a GM pickup. A Denali with an Escalade front and interior would. Probably, Nieman-Marcus has one in their catalog...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Johnny

Barry, I can understand your way of thinking, after all what pickup today, looks like pickups of days gone by, when only plumbers and tomato farmers bought them.  As pickup trucks caught rose in popularity, the manufactures found ways to make them more attractive to more buyers, even buyers such as myself, that never thought I would ever get a pickup!  Of course their main motivation was profit.  The Cadillac EXT is based on the Chevrolet Avalanche, which is a Silverado Crew Cab on steroids.  Barry in your wildest dreams, did you ever think that Cadillac would be producing trucks?  I know that I didn't, and take things one step further, I still have a small problem in accepting the Escalade as a Cadillac.  In my mind and way of thinking a Cadillac is luxury CAR period.

Johnny

Quote from: South_paw on May 26, 2008, 09:43:51 PM
When you think about it, today's pickup trucks are the only vehicles left that resemble our beloved old Cadillac's. Twenty feet long, chrome bumpers, leather seats, power everything & rolling on a full chassis :P  Heck, my Super Duty even has Climate control  ;D

I have always thought along the same lines.  I think the reason for the popularity of trucks, that started slowly some 25 years ago, was first price, then comfort.  When the term "sticker shock" first entered our language, sometime in the late 70's  or early 80's, people sought other alternatives to a new "vehicle", and started to notice trucks and vans, with their lower prices.  As the sales started to increase, the manufacturers started to make them more desirable, by offering the creature comforts, usually reserved for cars.

wrefakis

1970 was the last year the usa was oil independent,1971 was the last year for any type of currency backing,our response to the oil problem in 1973 was to rebage and recreate the giant gas burners of 73,and call them suv's,and wonder why our entire auto industry is in peril,these vehicles have no place in 2008,the america of 1970 is gone a long time,back in it's day cadillac was the industry leader,now they rebadge a chevrolet and call it a cadillac escalade,although the cts does indicate a move in the right direction,like it or not,(I do not) the big car is history!