News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'51 Series 62 Rear Fender Question.

Started by Rick Cerbone #20905, May 30, 2008, 12:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Cerbone #20905

Hello.  I just wanted to verify that there should NOT be any fender welting between the rear fenders and the body of the car.  I am also assuming there is NO filler of any kind used between the rear fenders and body.  Thanks for any info.   

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Rick Cerbone  #20905 on May 30, 2008, 12:39:42 PM
Hello.  I just wanted to verify that there should NOT be any fender welting between the rear fenders and the body of the car.  I am also assuming there is NO filler of any kind used between the rear fenders and body.  Thanks for any info.   

05-30-08
Rick, I think there is  a 1/4" BLACK welting between the body and fender. Virefy First. Wauit for a '51 owner to answer you, but I'LL BET folding money that there is welting.HTH Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Paul W Allen 20193

Quote from: homeonprunehill on May 30, 2008, 03:22:42 PM

05-30-08
Rick, I think there is  a 1/4" BLACK welting between the body and fender. Virefy First. Wauit for a '51 owner to answer you, but I'LL BET folding money that there is welting.HTH Good Luck,Jim

Rick,

Yes, Jim is correct. Absolutely welting between the rear fenders and body, Always black, right up to 1953, the last year for it. In 54, the rear fenders and body were one piece.

Paul

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Paul W Allen 20193 on May 31, 2008, 06:45:06 AM
Quote from: homeonprunehill on May 30, 2008, 03:22:42 PM
05-31-08
Thanks for coming to my rescrue, Paul. Rick, if you intend to put this on by yourself, "Order one foot more then necessary, start with ALL the bolts in place(loose). Start at one end and allow about 1/4 of the extra welting to hang out. First, take a sharp knife (razor knife or utility knife) ,cut almost to the bead and push the welting in place. With the welting in place, tighten the bolt enoult to hold welting in place. when done, go back and torque the bolts to spec. and cut off the over-hang.  HTH Gooed Luck,Jim

05-30-08

Rick,

Yes, Jim is correct. Absolutely welting between the rear fenders and body, Always black, right up to 1953, the last year for it. In 54, the rear fenders and body were one piece.

Paul

USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Rick Cerbone #20905

Thanks for all the info.  You guys saved me from making a big mistake!!!  Any recommendation in terms of where I should purchase the fender welting?  If I can get this done in time I may see some of you in NJ!  Thanks again.  Rick

Paul W Allen 20193

Rick,

Steele has it. USA Parts Supply should also carry it.

Paul