News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac Horn Column Wire Replacement

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, May 30, 2008, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Ok All,

I am posting this question again as I got zero answers.
I need to run a new horn wire from under the steering wheel center cap through the column on my 1961 Cadillac but....................................
Once the wire leaves the center plastic cap I have no idea where it comes out and connects to. The wire that is in there is grounded and I can't do an isolated test on the wire so I can trace it. The schematic doesn't help, nor the manual.
I have a temporary micro switch sitting in my drivers ashtray connected one wire to a ground and the other to the brown wire on the NSS.
I need a horn and this is better than nothing.

Thanks
Jack

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: South_paw on May 30, 2008, 09:41:34 PM
If it's the same as the 56 column. The wire runs down the column to a collar that fits snuggly over the horn bushing(this is the part that makes the connection with the NSS). The wire is soldered on to the collar.  If you happened to pull on the horn wire from the top you may have pulled the collar off of the bushing. You are going to have to remove the column from the car, then pull the wheel off and pull the column shaft out from the bottom side. It will all be there for you to access. Don't sweat the column removal or disassembly, it easier than it appears.

HTH,
Lou

Lou,

Are you saying that there is no way to snake in a new wire?
I tried to remove the turn signal so I could change the signal arm, everything being 47+ years old wouldn't budge. I don't want to damage what is good.
Being partially handicapped pulling out the column is a job that I can't do alone.
Are you familiar with the slot that the NSS goes into? Is there supposed to be ground of some sort there? Is it my NSS or the non alignment of the hole that will not turn on my reverse lamps too?

Jack

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: South_paw on June 02, 2008, 09:01:33 PM
Quote from: Jack Miller CLC# 24441 on June 02, 2008, 10:34:23 AM
Lou,

Are you saying that there is no way to snake in a new wire?
The wire isn't the problem the collar was pulled up. It just needs to be pushed back down in place. Either way I don't see how you can correct this with the column in the car.
QuoteI tried to remove the turn signal so I could change the signal arm, everything being 47+ years old wouldn't budge. I don't want to damage what is good.
The signal arm doesn't need to be removed for this job.
QuoteBeing partially handicapped pulling out the column is a job that I can't do alone.
I guess I'm coming over then ;) The fee is Lunch & Beer ;D
QuoteAre you familiar with the slot that the NSS goes into? Is there supposed to be ground of some sort there? Is it my NSS or the non alignment of the hole that will not turn on my reverse lamps too?
Yes and probably.

Lou

Lou,

You're on!

Jack