News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

looking at 1960 ELDORADO BROUGHAM

Started by jesse, June 03, 2008, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse

hi all..
i was just doing some research on a car that i may have the opportunity to purchase.
its a 1960 eldorado brougham. from what i gather, they are pretty rare. i just dont know
exactly how desireable they are. i looked on ebay and there was only a couple, 1 currently running and 1
on ended listings. they dont seem to get as much attention as i thought they would.

Johnny

Not only are they rare, they are exceptionally rare, since only 101 were produced.  For more info on this model year, go here:

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/brg10b.htm

While they are very desirable by most Cadillac enthusiasts, because of their low production numbers, and the cost of restoration is above average, the desire to buy is not high. 

Of the four years produced, 57-60, in my opinion the 57-58 are a little more desirable because of their uniqueness..

veesixteen

I guess you are looking at car #94 (of 101 built) that is currently located in Utah.  We have that car in the roster of survivors that I maintain on behalf of the club.  You can check the entry on this Internet page:

www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/BRG13A2.HTM
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote from: jesse on June 03, 2008, 10:42:56 AM
hi all..
i was just doing some research on a car that i may have the opportunity to purchase.
its a 1960 eldorado brougham. from what i gather, they are pretty rare. i just dont know
exactly how desireable they are. i looked on ebay and there was only a couple, 1 currently running and 1
on ended listings. they dont seem to get as much attention as i thought they would.

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Yaunn:

Not to go off topic -- but did anyone tell you about the 2 1959 ELdorado Broughams
that were at the Grand European in Speyer?  They were consectutive serial numbers,
I believe either 42&43 or 43&44.

I can send you a few pics if your interested.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

ronw

Hi Mike,
I'm interested. Can you post the pics?
Thanks,
Ron
Ron in Sydney, Australia
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Sorry -- they were taken in high resolution  (3+MB) and will not post here (too many megabites) -- I'll try to E-Mail you.  I don't know how to "shrink" them, down to the 500MB limit.

If anybody knows -- pls advise!!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

veesixteen

Yes, Mike.  I was notified by our European Activities Director, Dirk Van Dorst. I've amended the entries and added a couple of photos in the "Survivors" section of the Database. These were #42 and 43.

QuoteYann:  Not to go off topic -- but did anyone tell you about the 2 1959 ELdorado Broughams
that were at the Grand European in Speyer? 

Bill Podany #19567

I submit the value of the 59-60 Eldorado's will increase in value substantially because of their limited numbers, classic and elegant styling and luxury features.  Many of their styling cues were interpreted in the Cadillac lines going into in 1961 to 1964.  These were beautiful automobiles, and someday they shall be appreciated in market value.  Think about how long it has taken the 59 Eldorado's to increase in value, and now they are off the charts.  The advantage today is that they can be purchased at generally affordable prices.  I say it is a good investment, and a lovely car to own and show and drive.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1955 Eldorado
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Johnny

Quote from: Bill Podany #19567 on June 07, 2008, 03:34:01 PM
  I say it is a good investment, and a lovely car to own and show and drive.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1955 Eldorado

If you are looking at your car as an investment, I think in the long run, you would do better investing in the stock market.  Why?  Because the stock market usually dictates how much discretionary capital a person has to spend.  As the stock market goes, usually so does the rest of the market place.  Its a tide that raises and lowers all boats.  With the current state of the stock market and with gas around $4.00 a gallon, I don't think there are going to be that many buyers out there of classic cars.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Matt:

So your conclusion is??  You really don't say.  You posted a reprint of an article.

I don't know if you remember, but I do.  In 1972, when we had the first "oil crisis" and
gas went to the $2-- per gallon range people were agast and there was a great trend
(temporary) to small cars.  I remember this distinctly, since I had just ordered a new 1973
Eldorado and the guys I worked with were kidding me with quotes like "I hope you have
enough gas to drive that thing!"

Yes, I still have the car, and gas is now around $4 per gallon.  So what! -- that's still cheap
in comparasion with the rest of the world.  I just returned from Germany where gas
is around $9-- per gallon.  Guess what -- there are still many dedicated Cadillac fans
in Europe who don't mind paying the price.  They drive their cars -- that's in addition to the
road taxes they pay that can be as much as $5,000 per year due to the engine displacement
of these cars! (Germany has an annual tax based on cubic inch displacement or all cars less than
30 years old).

I don't think the price of gas will hurt the collector car market in the least.  Most people
who purchase these cars could care less about the price of a gallon of gas.  If you need
further proof of that, just check the latest auction results of any of the major sites
and you will see that the collector car market is going nowhere but up!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Joe Manna

I would like to comment on Mike's last post.I know we were getting off topic.But first,may I say this,looking at the 2 '59 EB's in consecutive serial numbers is totally amazing.I'm also curious,the one that the originator of this topic might be able to buy,is that the one in the garage?

But going back to gas prices,granted they are high.Whether,you drive a Caddy or a Yugo,you have to put gas in something.So what ever the cost,you need it.Now,I heard,don't know how much truth there is,that people were cancelling out of the GN.I look at it this way,if someone spends thousands to restore an old Caddy or LaSalle,where it has to be trailered,if you can afford a tow vehicle and an enclosed trailer you can afford the gas.Regardless,I will be in Cherry Hill with my '91.Also am going to Hershey on the 12th.

Mike,am looking forward to seeing your '55.Bob Crimmins tells me it's absolutely gorgeous.

Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

veesixteen

Mike is right.  If you can't afford gasoline at $4 a gallon, then for sure your next "driver" won't be a gas-guzzling SUV or similar.  On the other hand, it will take more than gas at $4 a gallon to stop us "nuts" from indulging ourselves, taking an occasional spin around the countryside in our beautiful, collectible Cadillacs, attending the occasional "old car meet" where other "nuts" like as are wont to congregate.

I recall gas at 30 cents a gallon.  When Gita and I moved from Switzerland to SC in 1998, it was still under $1 a gallon in SC, last year it hit $2 a gallon, this year $4 ...and (whether you like it or not) it will climb to $10 a gallon very soon.  Many of our European friends already are paying that "high" a price for the precious fuel!  

China's demand for oil is increasing exponentially; you can't halt "progress"; the Chinese soon are going to need as much if not MORE oil than us.  The more the demand, the higher the price.  Simple economics.  In addition, we're not talking here of a renewable energy source; there is only a finite amount of oil available for the entire world. When it runs out...

On that somber note, I bid you all a lovely day. Now, I'll go back to looking at pictures of lovely, old Cadillacs as well as admiring the few 1:18 scale Cadillac models in my office showcase.  At least THEY don't need gas!

Quote from: Mike Josephic ...  In 1972, when we had the first "oil crisis" and
gas went to the $2-- per gallon ...
/quote]

Joe Manna

Yann,the one good thing is,the 1:18 scale Cadillacs don't need gas and you can have quite the collection of Caddies.Maybe we can bring some to Cherry Hill?
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Mike, am looking forward to seeing your '55. Bob Crimmins tells me it's absolutely gorgeous.

Joe
[/quote]

Joe:  Thanks for the kind words -- I look forward to seeing you there.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Stlylishone

I agree with a good deal of what was said about this model.  I have owned the 57/58 which is a really neat and interesting vehicle though now I feel a bit heavy handed looking.. but that was the time period. They were like driving a factory experimental loaded with great gadgets and built like a battle ship.

The 59/60 Eldos I also owned(actually 2 60's) and liked them for their quiet and unique looks. Bill I believe corr said the style influenced later models that sold directly after these came out, I agree with him. That to me weakened their novelty and watered down their value.  For me the slightly different yet simple look of the 59/60 ,their well made interiors, and absolute smooth running gear make them interesting to me.  I remember as a kid I was so excited when I saw one when my parents took us to DC.. never had seen one on the street.

In the end Id likely buy another 59/60 as they arent too complicated mechanically, but I d have to make sure about a spare windshield etc.. I was always panicked driving that a stone would ruin my windshield.  Did they ever remake them to help collectors?  The Narrow pleated 60 interior is a really wonderful touch as were the mouton rugs.. they ran like silk , with great chrome.  Besides 60 is one of my favorite years for Cadillac and I love the brochure too. It spoke to the life style Cadillac aimed at.. A nice rare car. Just make sure its a good one.