News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

NOS voltage regulator not working

Started by Charlie CLC #18187, June 07, 2008, 11:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie CLC #18187

I have the correct Delco-Remy for my '56, purchased in an un-opened container.  I installed it, and it will not put out correct voltage no matter how I adjust it.  Always 12.3 volts.  I tried another regulator and it works just fine.  What can go wrong with a regulator from just sitting around ??? It doesn't appear corroded.  THANKS.   

baxterculver

Quote from: Charlie CLC #18187 on June 07, 2008, 11:52:53 PM
I have the correct Delco-Remy for my '56, purchased in an un-opened container.  I installed it, and it will not put out correct voltage no matter how I adjust it.  Always 12.3 volts.  I tried another regulator and it works just fine.  What can go wrong with a regulator from just sitting around ??? It doesn't appear corroded.  THANKS.   
What is the generator ouput?
baxter culver clc#17184

homeonprunehill

06-07-08
Charles, Baxter asked a good question! Did the box have any damage?The regulator could be one of the 10% that does't get inspected! HTH, Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Charlie,

I'm assuming that you did polorize the new regulator with a jumper before you started the car? If not, it won't work correctly. Just a thought.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Charlie CLC #18187

Generator must be good, because when I switched regulators, the voltage went to 14.8, which is spot on.  I did polarize the VR, Paul.  So what does go wrong with regulators that can't be readily seen???     

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Charlie CLC #18187 on June 13, 2008, 12:02:17 AM
Generator must be good, because when I switched regulators, the voltage went to 14.8, which is spot on.  I did polarize the VR, Paul.  So what does go wrong with regulators that can't be readily seen???     

06-12-08
Charles, as I said in a previous post, Either the VR is one of the 10% that failed to get "tested" prior to being "packaged", or else it went bad in the box, some do, just because of age. HTH Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Glen

I would open the regulator and do a visual inspection.  Look for corrosion on the points, and where the connections are riveted together.  Also look for broken wires and burned coils. 

The regulator can be tested by someone that knows how. 

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: Glen on June 13, 2008, 02:27:34 AM
I would open the regulator and do a visual inspection.  Look for corrosion on the points, and where the connections are riveted together.  Also look for broken wires and burned coils. 

The regulator can be tested by someone that knows how. 

Glen

I just put into my 61 Caddy a new Standard regulator. My voltage at the battery went from 12.85 to 13.91 @ idle. At 1,500 RPM 14.2 I am OK with that.
Open it and look for corrosion. Look at it's points. If still not working bring the generator & regulator to a qualified rebuilder of Generators & Auto electrics and they will get it working & calibrate the 2 to work together.

Cheers
Jack

PS : Make sure that the regulator is grounded correctly and the rubber grommets are in correctly so the copper sides are touching the body of the regulator.