News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Horn ring removal on 1951 Cadillac

Started by J Kjerrulf, June 14, 2008, 11:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Kjerrulf

Hi all! A good friend of mine needs assistance in removing horn ring assembly on steering wheel. Have no idea how to approach this problem. His horns goes stock raving mad from time to time when turning and our roads aren't straight enough for a pleasant ride.

What is the secret? Don't want to bend with screwdrivers if not necessary.. Any hints are welcome!

Car is an ex-California black plate Imperial Limousine.
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

JKF

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I just loked in a 1952 manual that I've got [your friend should buy a workshop manual from Crank n Hope - they are cheap] and it says the following:
depress horn button , turn counterclockwise until locking ears are released and remove button.
Remove horn button spring.
Reckon the problem with the horns coming on when turning is either the wire in the steering column worn through, or the bushing at the bottom of the steering shaft that the contact rides on .
Phil

JKF

Many thanks Phil for this excellent answer to my friends problem, he will be truly happy.
Thank you also all of you for this forum.

I have tried to encourage my friend to buy a manual and questions like this should convince him, will forward your suggestion.
He doesn't even use the net so a proper shop manual should do the trick.

Otherwise this limousine is a dream to ride and drive. A few cracks in the old paint but amazing quality and comfort for its time.