News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

radio 1990 brougham

Started by gerald ross, June 17, 2008, 08:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerald ross

i recently replaced the in dash stereo on my '90 brougham as it was acting up (not keeping a preset, not operating the antenna, noise supression inop) and it was better for a week.  now it's doing all that again.  i asked dr. don's info man about this problem and he told me that the problem probably lies in the stereo's peripheral "brain" in the trunk.  however, i can't find it on a quick inspection.  before tearing all the cardboard out of the trunk can someone please tell me where in the trunk it would be?
thanks,
jr

Walter Youshock

If this is a rear-drive Brougham (not a front-drive Fleetwood), it's not in the trunk.  It is under the driver's side lower dash hush panel to the left of the steering column.  It is mounted on a bracket along with the chime module--a green plastic box with about 20 wires coming out of it.

Lay on your back, dig through all the other wires under there, slide the chime off and you should find a 10 mm bolt that holds a silver metal box on this bracket.  Loosen the bolt and CAREFULLY turn it so you can disconnect the speaker and power wire clips off.  I think there are 4 sets of wires--2 on the front and 2 on the back of the box.  They don't give you much slack at all.

Apparently, there is a capacitor that goes bad in them and they start to buzz.  I've dealt with Dr. Don's and they are good to work with.

Good luck! 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

gerald ross

thanks, i'll be on my back as soon as i get home!
jr