News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

HELP - Removing Hydramatic Transmission From A 1942 Cadillac

Started by Jeff Baker CLC #23244, June 20, 2008, 11:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Baker CLC #23244

I hope we are going to remove the Hydramatic transmission this weekend from the 1942 Series 62, so we can replace the seals. Are there any tricks or tips for doing this or is it a straight forward operation?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jeff, it's not a fun job. The trans is VERY heavy. I would not suggest doing the job without a trans jack. You have to support the motor by blocking it against  the cowl.  Make sure you have your shop manual & all the special tools to remove & replace the seals on hand. It's at least a 2 man job, with 3 men preferred.  HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Doug Houston

Not a fun job!!! No disagreement here.

I've done it a few times, and I prefer propping the engine with a piece of 2 X 6 and a jack stand. I'd worry about making a print in the firewalll.

When you take off the torus cover from the flywheel, you'll have to take off 30 bolts, then break the seal to the flywheel.

Unless someone has replaced your transmission with a post war model, you may be surprised that the prewar transmissions are very different from the postwar models.

If you've bought a seal kit already, you may not recognize anything in the transmission, once it's apart.   Proceed with caution.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929