News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Long Distance - Non Driven for this years 2008 CLC Grand National!

Started by Ross Morgan #22943, June 22, 2008, 04:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Morgan #22943

Well, there were quite a few awards at last year's Grand National in Savannah - and then the “Long Distance â€" Non Driven” award came up.  Our table was way up the back.  Jack McClow asked if there were any New Zealanders and there was an eruption from a table up front.  Brian Gillett, from Inglewood New Zealand (I think it was him) got up and accepted the award!  My table were yelling at me to race up to the front but I was honestly worried that I could not fit anything more in my suitcase.  I told the Americans at our table that I was happy that a “cousin” had received the award!  However.......... this year will be different!  About 6 of us are going to the Grand National this year (from Perth that is), Australia and surely this is further than Tasmania, South Africa or South America?  I'm not sure though so I was wondering if anyone knew of an online map that could calculate the distance!  This is all meant to be good fun of course!  Our 6 are getting together next weekend to discuss the trip and we can argue then who from our group is the "furtherest"!

Regards Ross Morgan
Perth, Australia

Bill Gauch #23121

There are a bunch of them. Just put in great arc calculator or great circle calculator into google and you should get a bunch.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

The Tassie Devil(le)

There was none in '02 at Dearborn, (I would have got that one) so I can't see why there should be one this year. ::)

And I will be coming via Alaska, and driving my own Cadillac there from Detroit.

But, hang on, the distance from Perth in a direct line to Cherry Hill (West around the Earth) wouldn't be as far as from Hobart (East around the Earth).

I will have to work out the miles and meet at dawn. ;D

Bruce.
The Tassie Devil(le)
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Joe Manna

Bruce,I can't wait to meet some of you guys from the other side of the globe.See ya in August.Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

It will be easy to identify us.

We will be the only people there, apart from the Poms, speaking the Queen's English. ;D

Bruce. >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

homeonprunehill

06-22-08
Bruce, I tried to send you an email earlier, but, got a reply via nasty-gram that yahoo could not find your e address. (Only wanted to know if your itinerary had changed since we have been having floods here).please email me.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

Yes, I know how you feel, as I have a lot of problems with sending messages to people with  Comcast, sbcglobal, AOL, and a number of other email addresses, as they don't like my ISP, but we have other means of getting through to the outside world.

But, to answer your question, yes, my itinerary is changing, all the time, except for the part up until a couple of weeks after leaving the GN, and I am sure will change again and again.

It isn't the cost of petrol, as yours is a lot cheaper than ours, but I plan to put the Eldo into the container around Mid September in NY instead of driving to the West.

So, everyone, be prepared for anything.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

Using Google Earth and a program called GeoCalc I find Perth to Cherry Hill to be 11616.078 mi or 18694.265 km this is by High Accuracy.  Great Circle is 11608.026 mi or 18681.307 km. 

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

dave_wa

Either way - It looks like that prize is coming down under.

It looks like it is going to be a great event & I can not wait to see all of those amazing cars with just as interesting people.

It will be a bit of fun to catch up with more Aussies, half way around the world

Dave  ;D
Dave Batger
CLC# 24083

Perth - Western Australia

1958 Cadillac Convertible
1959 Cadillac Series 75

The Tassie Devil(le)

It will be just like when I attended Dearborn in '02 and met more Aussie CLC'ers there than I had ever met before in Australia.

Plus a whole herd of nice Kiwis as well.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

v pulley

Re, longest distance.  Your airline ticket office should have point to point distances.  Shop around for the longest!!

D Hearn

Jeff Hansen

Bruce Reynolds of Tasmania was declared the winner at 16,000 miles traveled.

A complete list of all winners is forthcoming.

Jeff

Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

D Hearn

Travelled????  the distance between Perth and Philly is  11602.02 miles    the distance  between Tasmania and Philly is  10242.93
I would of thought it is a  point A to B thing,,,,you guys in Perth were robbed.IMHO

Ross Morgan #22943

Well the good news is that if anyone from Perth attends a GN in future years, it's almost certain that they'll win it!  I think if you drilled a hole from Perth through the centre of earth, you'd probably come out somewhere around lake Michigan...(or is there a program that calculates this as well?)

It was a great GN - I took over 500 photos and wished I'd taken some more!  I just bought a 1940 convertible sedan (that needs restoring) so I'm happy.  Ross.