News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Lock Cylinder Removal From The Ignition Switch

Started by Al Smith, June 23, 2008, 09:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Smith

I wasn't able to find any instruction in any manuals I have nor in the forum search here.(possibly not worded correctly?)
I need some guidance on removing the key cylinder from my ignition switch.
1951 series 62 sedan.
All help will be appreciated as usual.
Thanks,
Al 8)

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Al,

In most cases, there will be a small hole in the face, somewhere, where you can insert a straightened paper clip to release the tumbler barrel.

If there is one in yours, I think it is a case of turning the ignition on, inserting the pin to push a spring-loaded clip, and once that is pushed in, turn the key to the left, and it will release the key/tumbler as a unit.

Then it is just a matter of removing the outer bezel either by unscrewing it, or un-clipping it.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Remove the Negative Battery Terminal first.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eldorado_64

That's right, once the lock cylinder is out w/ key, you can un screw lock bezel outward from ignition casting. Some are even hexed inside to use a socket if too tight and some are of the spanner nut type, Needle-nose plyers an be used to aid.
1964 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Biarritz & Sixty-Special
Cadillac, "The Only Way"