News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 biarritz production by color

Started by davidjacot, June 24, 2008, 12:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidjacot

Does anyone have a sense how many 78 biarritz coupes were produced in the Carmine Red?

Judging by my 3 month-and-counting search on eBay, Cotillion White seems to be the most common, with the Meditteranean Blue a close second. Yellow comes in third, and I've seen exactly one Ruidoso Saddle, and zero Carmine Reds. The available literature lists these as the five standard 78 Biarritz colors, but judging by the lack of any for sale recently the red must have been pretty rare.

Bonus question, did the Carmine Red come with red leather seats only, or could it be had with white?

For reference, here is a gorgeous 78 Biarritz in Carmine Red with red leather interior and astroroof, evidently sold a while ago. I know the fat whitewalls weren't factory, but they sure look good on this car. Enjoy!

http://stevenrapp.com/1978_Cadillac_Eldorado_Biarritz.htm

David

Ted in Olympia WA

I don't know how many red ones they made but I have one in my parts yard.  Terrible shape now but when it was new it loolked just like your picture.

I also have a Yellow (yellow interior), Blue with blue interior, One more blue with blue; all three 78.  And I have a blue with blue 1976.

Yesterday I saw a nice two tone brown one going through town.  And I have seen a couple more for sale over the years.

Have not seen a white one yet.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Rich S

There was a pristine, extremely low mileage 1978 Eldorado Biarritz in Carmine Red with Red Leather and the White Vinyl Roof and Astroroof in the inventory of Orlando Classic Cars within the last twelve months or so. It looked brand new (having only 3,000 miles)! Here is their link, although I don't see it listed now, it can be seen in their "Sold Car Gallery" portion of their site:

http://www.orlandoclassiccars.com/showroom/index.php?PHPSESSID=ee6f0e136a03706328b6b937efb3a15f

I watch the '71 to '78 Eldorados offered for sale quite closely, and I have never seen a 1978 Biarritz in Carmine Red with the White Leather Interior, so I believe the Carmine Red ones came with Red Leather interiors, exclusively. (For 1979, I recall that the down-sized Biarritz featured in the sales brochure was Saxony Red, White Vinyl Roof and White Leather Interior.) Here is a Carmine Red offered in Hemmings:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/cadillac/biarritz/670343.html
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

davidjacot

Thanks everyone for info and links!

I've been trying to decide on the year, color combo and option package I want in the mid-late 70s Eldorado coupe, and I'm pretty much set on the 78 Carmine Red Biarritz.

I could, however, be talked into a 77 with a similar color scheme. I let a slight fixer 77 Biarritz w/ astroroof in bright red, white top, and white leather interior with red piping and red seat buttons go to someone else on eBay a few months ago, and have been kicking myself ever since.

I do want an astroroof; does anyone have any idea what percentage of these cars had astroroofs?

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

Generally speaking, the '76-'78 Biarritz had a matching landau top, exterior color and interior color.  I suppose some were made with a special order interior of a contrasting color, but the standard package had a matching interior.  Regarding the Astroroof production, my former source at ASC stated that about 30% had this option.

StylishOne

My two cents.. the Carmine red was available with the white interior. If you consider what was fashionable at the time most interirors matched the paint like in 61/62 Cads. What I think is rare Is: the Basil Green metalli,c and the Autumn haze colors..though the Aztec Gold,Western Saddle, or Canyon Copper werent too common either. The Blue, Yellow and Autumn Haze are very cool to me.. All whites you see in Ny area..

Lars Kneller 8246

I also have a Carmine red one with red interior in my little stash of junk cars too. It had been hit hard in the right rear quarter, but I was able to drive it home.  It hasn't run in years but has donated many parts to keep my 77 Biarritz (Buckskin Firemist) and other Eldorado's going.

Warren Rauch

In the data book for 1978 , they don't state if special orders could be had.  They do state that on the Eldorado Custom Barritz (option YP3) the Dark Carmine Leather (744) only came on exterior 80 (carmine red), likewise white leather ,white paint: yellow leather,yellow paint:blue lleather, blue paint: and saddle leather ,saddle paint. Eldo's other than the Barritz option could be had with a wider varity of paint - upholstery options.Warren

jeffreyalman

sorry to revive an old link but Dad was a Cad dealer in the 70s and 80s and we had a customer who wanted a white one with red interior (not available) so we swapped the interiors on the white one with the red one and wound up with:

white, white top, red leather
red, white top, red leather

I drove the white one from Pittsburgh to LA in 77 I think, maybe 78, which is why I still have a 76 white Toronado with burgandy interior

just saying