News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct white wall size for 75 eldo

Started by Robert CLC #20619, June 24, 2008, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert CLC #20619

What is the correct whiite wall size for a 75 Eldo Conv?

Thanks
Robert
Robert

1975 Eldo Conv
1968 Deville Conv
1966 Eldo Conv
1947 62 Conv
1947 Buick Roadmaster Conv

Richard Sills - CLC #936

1.6 inches is correct for a 1976 -- I believe the '75 used the same tire.

Richard

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

Richard,

Would this size (1.6 inches) also be appropriate/correct for a '75 Sedan deVille?
Is the 1.6" stripe the size as shown in the attached ad?

Interesting note about the '75 whitewalls.  All the ads I have seen show a wider whitewall (which I assume is 1.6 inches) - while the press photo shows a thinner whitewall.  Take a look at the "Tires" section, under "Specifications" - from the 1975 catalog.  Apparently, wider whitewalls were an option on all vehicles (including Eldorados), except limos.

I'll post the press photo in a separate note...

Thanks,
Pat
Webmaster - Raritan River Region CLC   http://www.rrrclc.org
Webmaster - Valley Forge Region CLC   http://www.vfrclc.org

1975 Cadillac Sedan deVille

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

Press photo of thinner '75 whitewall - which may also apply to '75 Eldo?

Otto Skorzeny

This is only a guess based on my own observation and comparison to tires in my possession. The whitewalls in the advertisement look like they are at least 2" wide or even 2.25". The press photo looks closer to the 1.6" but it is very hard to tell.

Cadillac would allow buyers to choose whatever tire they wanted, however.

My guess about the advertisements is that they used what looked good in the pictures and what they thought would stir interest in the car. Wide whitewalls were quite popular in the mid '70s so the admen were just staying current with popular attitudes.

Also notice that they are trying to draw a comparison to the 30's Cadillac in the background. Wider white walls are an easy way to make the connection.

I personally like the look of the tires in the ad rather than the skinny ones in the press release photo.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Regarding the original size whitewall for a '75 Cadillac, I have one in my garage (Coupe deVille) that still has all 5 original tires, so I will measure the whitewalls and report back next week.  I believe they are 1.6 inch whitewalls but will be happy to verify.

Here is what I recall about Cadillac tires during this period:

When the 1974 Cadillac was introduced, the standard equipment was a bias-belted tire -- probably the same tire that was standard in 1973.  Radial tires were an option, and if you selected this option, you got a narrow-whitewall radial tire (probably 1 inch or less).

As of the production date of 1/1/74, a number of features that had previously been optional on Cadillacs now became standard.  One of those features was radial tires.  This was a change that occurred part-way through the model year.  The radial tire which became standard equipment as of 1/1/74 was the same narrow-whitewall tire that had previously been an option.

When the 1975 Cadillacs were introduced, one of the most noticeable changes (besides the rectangular headlights) was the wider whitewall tire that was new for '75.  Back in the day, I don't recall seeing any '75 Cadillac new-from-the-factory with a narrow whitewall tire. 

Bear in mind that the sales brochure was printed months before the new models were introduced.  It is possible that the brochure refers to an alternative tire style that never was actually used in that model year.  It is also possible that GM had an inventory of narrow-whitewall tires left over from the 1974 model year that they expected to carry over to some early '75s, or that they did in fact carry over to some early '75s.  If anyone who worked for the factory or for a Cadillac dealer in those days can provide more authoritative information, I would be interested to learn it. 

There was no difference between the style of tire used on a deVille vs. an Eldorado.  I have examples of both with original tires, and they are identical.  (I am not sure about Series 75s -- I admit that I did not pay too much attention to them back when they were new cars in the '70s.)

Richard

Johnny

Seems like white walls are going the way of hub caps and wheel covers, and stylish wheels are the current trend setters.

Eldorado_64

I had a set of L78 twin line white walls on a '70 Eldorado but I know they were put on somewhere since new. Are they correct and if not, when was this tire 1st optional to Cadillac? Can I get a 1.6" whitewall on a L78x15 for my '64? I like the ride height of the tire over the P235/75R15. Whow has found the best P235 whitewall tire to caome as close to 29" high? I'm looking for ride height of close to 29" and 1.6" whitewall w/ a tread width close to that of a P235.

Any ideas?
1964 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Biarritz & Sixty-Special
Cadillac, "The Only Way"

Otto Skorzeny

Available from Coker Tire 800-251-6336

That 70's Tire        235/75R15               28.90" diam     1.6" ww    ( I swear that's really what they call it)
American Classic      235/75R15               28.80" diam      1.6" ww
BF Goodrich           235/75R15               28.90" diam       assorted white wall sizes
fward

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Another good source is Universal Vintage Tire Co. in Hershey, PA.  Their website address is "www.universaltire.com", and they carry a tire called the 235/75R15 American Classic 1.6" White Wall.

Eldorado_64

I can se why it's so hard to pick the right tire online. So what are some good selections of retail stores that might have some large diameter classic thick or thin whitewalls to look at. Such as in the San Jose, San Francisco, or Sacramento, Auburn area.

What was the deal w/ the L78 series anyways? Coker Tire list one but they are not clear on the pic for the one offered as its pic is used for other tire listings. I am tryubg to get a clear view of the twin line whitewall, one thick on outer and one thin closer to rim center from what I remember. But then in the day, they had the tripple line, w/ thin on in and outside, and thick 1" in center.
Cadillac, "The Only Way"

Otto Skorzeny

Coker has a location in Fresno. Does that help?  They're also very helpful on the phone if you need more specs on the tires in question.
fward

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

The whitewalls shown on my '75 SdV are 3/4".

FYI - These are NOT the original tires.  Hope I didn't mislead anyone to think they were original....

Pat

EAM-17806

FACTORY ORIGINALS ON MY 1976 COUPE de VILLE IN 1976 CAME WITH 1.6" WHITEWALLS.  I'M QUITE CERTAIN THEY WERE THE FACTORY SIZE FOR 75 & 76.  EAM

collector

I have a factory set of Uniroyal L78-15 which are actually a 1.3 " white walls which are called Steelers, which were intoduced in 1975 and went to 198*. The tire converted in 1980 to P metric. The optional steel belted radial for the  Eldo in 1974 was the L 78 15 Uniryoal Zeta 40M which has a 5/16th white wall but if your car came with the Bias Ply tires it was a standard 1". I still have the original tire in my 74 Eldo trunk and is unused.

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

I have my "1975 Optional Specifications" book in front of me.  This was an internal Cadillac document to assist the salesmen with proper specs and ordering guidance.

Quoting from page 18:
"General Motors Specification Steel Belted Radial White Wall Tires are standard on all cars.  This new tire features a single 1.6 inch white band which accents the sidewall (not available on Fleetwood Series "75" cars.)"

No mention of any other size stripe.....

collector

Your right about the tires they all converted to the 1.6" white wall on the LR78 15 , 1.3 on the Seville. Sorry for the mis information. But from 75 up they were all radials.

Eldorado_64

I wanna' put 1.6 L78's or a taller P235/75R on my '64. I have a recent set of Good Year w/ a small 3/4" and it looks OK, but not quite like I wanted so I'm waiting to get a new set and move these to another car. Even 1" would look bigger then these. My '62 had old style 2" and they looked nice for a 60's erea car, not too big and not too small.
Cadillac, "The Only Way"

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Pat Caruso has already answered the initial question by referring to the Cadillac specifications book, but just to close the circuit on this, I examined the original tires on my '75 Coupe deVille (build date 3/75) and found that they are 1.6 inch whitewalls, Uniroyal size LR 78-15 belted radial tires.  Under the word "Uniroyal" on each tire is the code "PR6".  The tires are also stamped with "TPC Spec. No. 1005".