News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'38 Caddy Front End

Started by jgambs1@comcast.net, June 25, 2008, 11:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgambs1@comcast.net

I'm getting a significant shutter in the front end/steering wheel of my '38 Caddy Model 75 under the 'right' road conditions.  I've narrowed it down to the arm that connects the inner tie rod ends to the drag link.  I don't know what this piece is called, but it connects the two by running through the frame with a pivot point at the dead center and front of the car.  That pivot point is the one giving me trouble.  I've attached a picture of about half of it including where it connects to the tie rods and the pivot point in the frame.  The picture is looking from the front of the car.  You can see the front of the oil pan in the background.  The piece comes to the upper right corner of the pic and off frame turns hard right to curve around through the frame and connect to the drag link.  I've contact Kanter to see if they have anything to rebuild this piece.  But so far no luck.  Anyone had this problem and can point me in the right direction for a rebuilt kit or new piece?
Thanks in advance for any help!  Jack

harry s

Jack, I think they call that the intermediate steering arm. I had a simular problem with my '37 75 series. It would wonder and shimmy under certain circumstances. When I removed it there were bushings inside that had to be replaced due to no lube points. I think that is the only place on the car that didn't have grease fittings. I had a local machine shop fabricate bushings, maybe they were a standard bushing, I don't remember. but it did the job. Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

This bearing is an early generation factory sealed bearing and they tend to fail.  They do not have a grease fitting.  Replacements are available from  Olcar Bearing Co. â€" 135 James Creek, Southern Pines, NC. 28387, ph. 910-693-3324.  This information is available in the Class 8A Authenticity Manual along with much more information on the restoration of 38-40, 75 series cars.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If you have further trouble, I have the # of a friend you can call for more help, just give me a shout. Barry.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Whit Otis, 1188

This is the piece (actually the whole design including this piece) that gave Cadillac the much heralded bragging rights about "center point steering."  As I recall, this is a tapered bearing (cup and cone).  When I went through my front end, I bought a new one at a bearing supply house.  I packed it full of grease and then set the bearing clearance to about .001" by cranking down on the nut that treads onto the pin.  As stated above, there is no grease fitting.... would be tempting to install one, but I would not want to breach the integrity of this forging by drilling a hole in it.  If you can grab a hold of the arm and move it up and down, the bearing is probably shot.  I suppose you could try to tighten the nut some, but if there is much slop in it at all, I'm quite sure you will need a new bearing.
Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

jgambs1@comcast.net

Thank you all very much.  Wish me luck!