News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Door edge Gaurds ?????

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, June 28, 2008, 07:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello, My Questions is did the 1957 Cadillac offer these edge gaurds as an option ? and where can you purchase these items now ? Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Warren Rauch

In 1957 Cadillac offered Dor-Gards  as option code D. These were standard equipment on the Eldorado models.Without looking at my Barritz , I think they are stainless steel.  They are unlikely an item that can 't be bought repo. Plastic ones to cut and fit ,I'm sure are avalible . Warren

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Warren Rauch

In my first post ,I said that Dor-Gards were standard on the 57 Eldorados. This was based on a statement in the New Car Specification Manual for 1957. "Do Not Order any groups. Only optional equipment that can be  added (to the Eldorado) is :K-air conditioner, E- E-Z glass, U- Autotronic Eye, and Q- Dual Carburetor Engine - (N0 Extra Charge) " Another note is that the grille is chrome unless option G is ordered for gold at no extra cost.
I looked up the data book for 1957 today.  It gives  a long list of standard equipment , but no mention of Dor-gards. So  I may have assumed too much. Warren

Walter Youshock

Dor-Gards were included in an options package (can't recall which one at the moment), along with License Frames.  They were also available as a dealer-installed accessory.  As I can best tell, they weren't installed at the factory, but at the dealership.  My car, and most, came with the package, but the Gards were never installed. 

A member from the Philly area bought his car brand new and he said he told the dealer he didn't want them on the car.  They attach with metal clips and the strip snaps over the clips--scratching the paint!  Plus, they kind of break up the lines of the car.  I know my car never had them as the original paint wasn't scratched up.

Big-bodied Buick and maybe Olds coupe doors were the same as the Cadillacs.  The coupe Gards are longer than the sedan models and curve down almost to the bottom of the door.  The rear doors of the Cadillac were exclusive and only the Cadillac Gards will fit, but the front Buick and maybe Olds sedan Gards will also work on the Cadillac.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Barry M Wheeler #2189

All I can say is that when I had the '79 Fleetwood painted, I took my door guards off, and they are still lying in the trunk. I didn't want to scratch the new paint. Leave 'em off. If you're like me, you are extra careful about where the door swings open anyway...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Walter Youshock

OK, Dor Gards were a part of the numbered equipment groups in 1957: Group 2 was Autronic-Eye, Fog Lamps Dor-Gards and 1 License Frame; Group 2 was 2 frames; Group 3 was 1 Frame and no Autronic-Eye; Group 4 was 2 Frames and no Eye.  The Gards and frames were installed at the dealership. if the car came with the group, the Eye and Fog Lamps came from the factory.  Except for power trunk, ALL accessories (including factory air conditioning) were available as a dealer-installed accessory kit.

This code would show on the Build Sheet under "Equip Group", but not on the body plate.  Approximate retail price for 2 Gards was $4.30 and 4 was $7.40.   A license frame was $8.45 and Air Conditioning was $624.00.  Not too bad when mouton sheepskin carpeting for the rear compartment for a Series 75 was $444.65!  Group prices were considerably less, of course.  These prices are from the 1956 #57-CAD-0-1 Options Price List, effective 11/12/56.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham