News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

38 V16 front coil spring help needed?

Started by harvey b, July 03, 2008, 06:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvey b

Hello All,on my 38 V16 i noticed i have a front coil spring that is broken on the right front,it is broke in the middle of the coil,i am scared it will "move" and the car will fall on to the rubber bumper,my question is does anyone know where i might find such an item,preferably a new one as 70 plus years old parts are not what i want to put in here,the spring looks very similar to the ones used in the trucks today,anybody have a type of formula to get one that would hold the old girl up ;D.i would replace the pair with new if i can find one that will work,i dont want to start trying a lot of different ones to see what works,any help is appreciated.The car is going to be used as a driver for this summer so i am not concerned about authenticity,i want to drive it before the price of fuel puts it completely out of reach,our fuel here is now 1.37 a litre and is expected to go up on the 15th of this month too.  thanks Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Hi Harvey,

You might try these folks http://www.eatonsprings.com/ - I had springs for my 47 made up there, and their list of Cadillacs supported includes 90 series.

Dave

Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Warren Rauch

In this time period even Hollander did not cross reference coil spring data.So the only information I found was from Cadillac.
  Part number 1413790 fits 6-wheel (side mount)36-75,80 ;37-75 ;38-75 except cc and 5-wheel (rear spare) 36&37-85: 38 to 40 sires 90 part# 1413791 fits 6-wheel 37-75 cc ;36&37-85; 38 to 40-75 cc:38 to 40 series 90. The new lenghth of 1413790 was  14 7/8 inch and it had 2 daubs of red paint on the center coils. For 1413791 lenghth 15 inch and 2 yellow daubs on center coil.
  To make new springs you will need more than this. They vary in number of coils, diameter of coil, diameter of the bar (rod), and most importantantly the tempering of the steel. Some companies that make truck springs will make coils,check your local ones. Comesky ,701 Noyes St, Utica  NY 13502 , may have used ones. Warren

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Check with Terry Wenger in Ferguson, MO about this. He is in your Directory.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

baxterculver

I am thinking it would be important to replace both front springs, not just the right side.
baxter culver clc#17184