News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Side trim removal

Started by CraigC, July 03, 2008, 09:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigC

Can anyone tell me how to remove and install the aluminum side rub mouldings on the rear quarter panel of a 1977 CDV?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

RobW

They are held on by plastic clips. Try prying upward from the front edge near the door and then carefully pop the moulding off each clip working toward the rear of the car. You need to resist the urge to just yank the moulding as this will bend it. Take a few extra minutes and go easy. You can also put some masking tape along the areas you pry from to avoid scratching the paint. These clips are held on by studs welding to the 1/4 panel. If they have been replaced you'll most likely find pop-rivets now holding them on. If some break don't worry, you can still by them new. Au-ve-co sells them as do most auto body supply places.
To install the moulding just lay the top edge down over the clip and slap the moulding downward with the palm of your hand until it snaps over the clip on the lower side. Keep repeating this all the way along the moulding.
The door and fender mouldings are held on the same way, but I think the door has a screw at the ends.
Rob Wirsing

CraigC

Thanks, Rob!  I appreciate the help!

Craig