News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 clutch linkage

Started by Brett Baird, July 13, 2008, 06:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Baird

I have just installed a rebuilt engine and trans after a 5 week delay, and am left with a 10 inch return spring that I can't find in any of the digital photos I took so that this type of thing wouldn't happen.

I have installed the spring that goes from the cluctch linkage relay assembly to the motor mount bracket, but the clutch pedal still feels a little sluggish on the last 1/2 of return.

Since I removed the clutch linkage relay assembly to have it re-bushed, I suspect this spring may have something to do with the linkage that goes inside the frame rail to the clutch pedal.

Can anyone tell me where this spring may go?  I tried to post a jpeg image, but the file is too large, so if you need a picture to jogg your memory, let me know and I will email a jpeg of the culprit.

Thanks in advance

Brett
CLC 17674
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Brett: Please take a look at the attached picture. It shows the blow up of the clutch linkage. You see two springs in that picture. The large clutch spring(C) and the brake pedal return spring(P). Make sure spring C is installed correctly and extension D is also installed. Check that the clutch pedal is not binding on the floor board as it returns to the full up right position. Hope this picture helps.

Bill Ingler #7799

I don`t think the picture posted so here is another try with a PDF file. If it still does not post please email me direct and I will try to email you the picture.

Doug Houston

Bill: I didn't pull out the second picture, but since this is an over-center spring, the other end of it should be shown with the "C" hook on the pedal link, or the bell crank. Do I have that right?
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Doug: Without going out and crawling under the 41 and double checking, the attached picture I hope explains how spring C is attached. The short end of spring C to the eye bolt from the left engine support, the long end of C spring to what Cadillac calls an extension/bracket and then the other end of that extension/bracket hooking over the stud support on the clutch pedal extension. When I first got my 41 my long spring C consisted of what looked like a screen door spring. I did not even have the extension bracket. Needless to say the pedal needed help to return it after shifting.

Bob Schuman

The purpose of the "C" shaped extension at the back end of the spring is twofold- it helps the clutch pedal fully return to the up or engaged position, and when the clutch is depressed about halfway it helps to reduce the force required by the driver to push the pedal all the way down. If the spring is hooked up without the "C" link it will return OK, but will be harder to depress the pedal.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Brett Baird

Thanks to all for the replies.  I really appreciate the illustrations, that really gives me peace of mind that the linkage, spring, etc. are all correct.  I was able to improve the pedal action by eliminating all binding that was apparently due to the reduced clearances obtained by rebushing/rebuilding the linkages.

As for the extra mystery spring?  I don't know where it came from or where it goes, but the car is functional and on the road.

Thanks again!

B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1