News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 convertible window rollers

Started by depmike38, July 15, 2008, 05:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

depmike38

Is there a source for the correct side window rollers for a 51 convertible? I don't have enough left to size them and they drag so
badly you have to "help" the window up and down. I'm a bit lost it's my first older Cadillac. Thanks, Mike Freeman
Mike Freeman

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Hi Mike. I've done quite a bit of work inside the doors of my 53 Coupe. (all new side glass) I don't recall having any "Rollers" so to speak. There are window channels and slides on the scissor mechanism for the window lifts. With your car being a convertible, it has the hydraulic windows (power) yes? If so, the door internals on the  51 should be very much like the 53. Can you post a photo of what your calling a "roller"?

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

vicbrincat

Are these the roller you are talking about?

(Would love to know of a source as well as I am missing one, too. Four are needed for a Coupe or Convertible, two for the front driver and two for the front passenger window. One roller goes on the inside and the other on the outside to hold the window firmly in place as it goes up and down).

BTW, My  '53 Convertibles did not have these rollers...it may have been 51 or 52 and earlier that did.

Vic Brincat

Leo Fabian CLC#5365

Mike , I got rollers for my '49 conv't from Steele rubber, 2008 catolog, page 133, part #70-0117-62. They look just like the one in Viç's picture.  Leo

vicbrincat

Leo,

I got the rubber part of the rollers from Steele Rubber. They are perfect...but I am missing one of the four roller units (like the one in my pic).

Does anyone know where I can get one of these roller mechanisms?

(Sorry to steal your thunder, Mike).

Vic

depmike38

Hi,I'm back with a couple of pictures of the problem I've got. The darker photo is what the two rollers looked like as removed from the car. All that's left is the metal button, the nylon or plastic is completely gone. This is the passenger side and you can see how the rollers orient directly over one another so the window can slide straight up and down. In the second photo I've adapted a roller from a mid-50's Buick to the frame but it still needs a bit more shimming I think. Biggest problem is that without an intact roller to look at I don't know exactly where it goes to keep it from binding. Thanks,Mike.
P.S. While working on this I got some helpful info from one if not the original guy at Hydro-electric on how to do a pre-lim test on the pump and window rams if anyone needs it! 
Mike Freeman