News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rotors & Brake drums

Started by Kerry Pilling, July 23, 2008, 05:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Pilling

Does anyone out there know of a product that can be applied to rotor surfaces and inside brake drum surfaces that will preserve and protect those surfaces from rust while in storage? I want to store extra brake parts for long term storage in my garage. I would like to get a product that would protect the surfaces of rotors and drums for long term storage but would be fairly easy to remove. Cosmolene isn't available any more so what would work? Thanks for your input. Kerry

TJ Hopland

There are several products out there.  The ones I used in the past dont seem to be among them.   I have had good luck using things like WD-40.  An engine fogging oil also works well and is easy to find, not sure how long it will last.

I have never tried it myself but I have heard of people spraying a light film of wd-40 on rotors before winter storage,  I guess it burns off quickly when you get it out in the spring.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I personally would be very reluctant to spray ANY lubricant on a brake drum or
rotor.  After doing this for several years it will build up on the pads and glaze them
causing erratic / noisy action at minimum or at worst, poor and erratic braking.

If you must do this, then before taking the car out in spring spray liberally
with a brake degreaser to remove all of the film.  There are may types to choose
from (chlorinated and non-chlorinated) and they will do the job.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Kerry Pilling

Thank You gent5lemen for your prompt response. I appreciate the good advice! Happy Motoring, Kerry