News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

6V Battery Charger

Started by akstraw, July 27, 2008, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akstraw

I am looking for a battery charger/maintainer for a 6v battery.  I just bought a new 6V Optima battery for one of my cars.  The 'Battery Tender' brand seeems to be the most widely advertised, but there are also a number of apparently newer technology alternatives that are smaller and cheaper, and advertise electonic float charging and monitoring functions that seem more advanced.  One example is called 'Battery Sentinel'.

Some of the Chinese-manufactured offerings seem to be so inexpensive that I worry about whether they actually do the job, or can be fire hazards.

Does anyone have deeper knowledge or experience with any of these?

Andrew
CLC 21467
Andrew Straw
CLC 21467

Fred Zwicker #23106

Andrew,

For the price, a Battery Tender is a good way to keep your battery charged without overcharging. With an Optima battery you will need very little help.  I just checked my 6-volt battery tender and there is a sticker on the back that says,  "Made in China".  Instructions do not give country of origin.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Chris Bryant #19358

I have had great experience with the Ctek battery charger made by the former Chief Scientist and VP of Optima Batteries. I met him in Toronto and am convinced it will work for you. I also checked out the charging strategy with a friend of mine who had rescued a sulfated battery for me by doing "manually". with his special power suppies and chargers etcetera, what the Ctek charger does automatically. It can't rescue badly sulfated batteries but it is a sophisticated charger and the mid-range one is the one I bought - cheaper than a Battery Tender. The website is www.ctek.com. They might be able to help.

Cheers,

Chris Bryant

Chris Bryant #19358

After I posted about the Ctek charger, I checked their website and for some reason their 6-volt charger is not available in the US. You could email them to see if it is available in Canada and then one of us obliging hobbyists North of 49 could buy it and ship it to you.

Cheers,

Chris Bryant