News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Odometer and Trip Meter

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, July 28, 2008, 09:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Can someone please explain to me how the odometer/trip meter on my '62 works?  I replaced the instrument cluster on my car assuming that the odometer was broken, but the odometer on the new cluster doesn't work either.  I also assumed that if the speedometer works, then the odometer should also (assuming it's not broken).  My speedo works fine (except for wobble above 60 mph),  but my odometer doesn't advance.  The reset cable for my trip meter works fine; I can advance it to 0000, but it never moves off of that.  Now I figure that there is something about this that I don't understand and I am hoping someone can elucidate me.

Thanks!

Gary Christensen
CLC #21112

Otto Skorzeny

The problem is most likely the part known as the 3rd worm gear. It is the only plastic/nylon gear in the unit. Everything else is aluminum or brass. This is a very complicated gear with different pitches and diameters which is why they molded it from plastic instead of machining it.

It does operate independently (sort of) of the speedo.  The plastic gear wears out faster than all the other ones and then doesn't make contact with the gears necessary to turn the odometer and trip odometer.

Your only choice is to find a good used one (difficult - since they're all plastic and they all wear out faster than the brass ones) or contact this guy at the link below. He made one for my '56. He may or may not be able to make a new one for you but I can't imagine the '62 being any more difficult to mold than the '56.

http://www.odometergears.com/index.html

797-593-3478
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE