News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'39 LaSalle Hood Will Not Open - Latch Stuck: Help

Started by DJ Bray, July 28, 2008, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bray

For some strange reason I now cannot open the hood of my 39 LaSalle as apparently the "hook" under the ornament is not moving far enough past the bar latch underneath.  As you know, a simple lifting of the hood ornament would release the latch and the hood could be opened.

I opened it last week without and problem and when I went to open this evening it would not open even tho the ornament-release lifts up (apparently not enough)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this situation rectified without  major damage to the hood or anything else.  I do have one engine compartment side panel off the car if that is any help.   Thank you for any assistance.

Ron Anthony 23803

Had the same problem on my 40 Lasalle.
Lift the ornament, with your other hand apply upward pressure on the hood where your side panel is off -- like grip the hood and move it up and down . This worked for me . The cause was the little spring was not positioning the latch .This would be the latch that the hood ornament catches. The spring can then be positioned properly .
If that doesn't work maybe you could reach that latch with something and push it forward .
You may find that someone in the past has already been fiddleing with it .
Good Luck with it .

DJ Bray

Thanks Ron, Your suggestion worked and I opened the hood.  I did reposition the latch and all is well so far.