Author Topic: need advice on 37 caddy tailpipe tip and length?  (Read 1091 times)

Online harvey b

• The truth is often a bitter pill to swallow
  • Name: Harvey Bowness
need advice on 37 caddy tailpipe tip and length?
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
Hello All,Have been driving my 37 caddy and have a small problem,when i put someone in the back seat the rear end will hit the tailpipe,pipe is not the original one,and it has the wrong bend to clear the rearend,am planning to take it to a local muffler shop and have them make me a new one,i am planning to stay and "supervise" the job so i can get exactly what i want.also have been reading about the "porcelinized" tip they are supposed to have,what does it look like i have never seen one,also how far from the rear body panel should the pipe come out,i have a small chrome tip with a down turn on it now,it was making the rear bumper black with soot? chrome tip actually looks pretty good.any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Offline Fred Zwicker #23106

• 1930 LaSalle Conv. Coupe - Restored
  • CLC Number: 23106
  • Name: Fred Zwicker
Re: need advice on 37 caddy tailpipe tip and length?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »
Here is an original-type tail pipe extension on my 1939 LaSalle, which is probably similar to the one used on your 1937 Cadillac.  You can buy a 2" tailpipe section at Auto Zone or elsewhere (measure your existing tail pipe first).  Then cut pipe on an angle as shown in picture, slice over top of your existing tail pipe and attach with a sheet metal screw.  These may have been originally porcelainized, but I had mine black powder coated. Another option is to paint it with black Por-15.  They really look authentic and set off the car from most others.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

All Cads