News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Faulty Oil Pump?

Started by Brian Daum, July 28, 2008, 05:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Daum

Dear All,

My 56 Fleetwood 60 Special just started to have the oil lamp going on. It`s a basically untouched car with 74k miles on it. The oil lamp goes flickering dimly at idle, but goes away during driving and higher rpm`s. 

Strange thing is that oil, (just recently changed) appears like it is new. I have no noises from the engine, but it tends to overheat some.

I am quite sure it must be the oil pump, just thought I would get some second opinions on this.  Any thoughts?

56 Fleetwood in Norway
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1998 Cadillac DeVille d`Elegance

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

As a first step, I would check the oil pressure sending unit -- check the ground, the
wiring etc.  Refer to your shop manual for details.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TJ Hopland

Pick up a mechanical gauge from any parts store (around $30, much cheaper than a new motor) and see what the pressure is.  Even if you dont run it inside at least you can open the hood and see.   For oil you can use T fittings and still keep the sender for the light.  The threads in the motor should be standard pipe threads.  Be aware that the original sender likely grounds to the block so sealer may screw that up.  Maybe for testing you could run a temporary ground wire between the body of the sender and a good ground.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

"I have no noises from the engine, but it tends to overheat some."

I would be at least as concerned, if not more so at this point, about the engine overheating.  I would not be driving the car with an overheating problem, that is a short road to an engine overhaul.  Driving a car with a too hot engine is bound to thin out the oil more than it would normally be and making that light come on at idle. 

Many causes for overheating such as faulty thermostat, partially plugged radiator, faulty water pump, partially plugged cooling passages in the block, slipping water pump drive belt, etc., etc.  Doubt your problem is the oil pump, or at least that would not be my first suspicion.  Your low oil pressure could also be caused by worn bearings.  Find out what your oil pressure really is as TJ states, check it against what the manual calls for --- find and fix the cause for the overheating!!
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

walt chomosh #23510

townfleet,
  First off,you would be well advised to check the actual oil pressure with a good mechanical guage. Then,the oil pump PRV(pressure relief valve)spring can be either replaced or shimmed using washers for the correct pressure. This is simply done by removing the oil pan,cotter pin holding the relief valve spring in place,shim/replace....I not only replaced my spring,but I had to also shim it for correct pressure......walt...tulsa,ok