News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68 Brougham electrical problem: brake lights/directional-signal

Started by Thomas Klak, July 31, 2008, 04:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Klak

Hi to all,
my 68 Brougham has an electrical problem:
1. no brake lights
2. directional signal is not working

Fuses and bulbs are all ok.
Emergency flasher is working. Makes correct ticking sound, but no flashing lights on the right rear!
Directional signal switch was renewed by the former owner.
Some of the wires at the starter solenoid were renewed, because they were burned/broken on the manifold.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your time and work!

TJ Hopland

I dont know the details of the 68 but typically everything is routed through the turnsignal switch.  Its possible that the turn signals could work but not the brakes lites.  When the turn signal is not 'tuning' it has to connect the tail lights to the brake switch.  Any idea what the last owner meant my 'renewed'?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

FWIW, I agree.  I would be taking a hard look at the directional switch.
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

anthony20485

The problem is with your Boine turn signal switch. Cadillac used two differnt turn signal switchs one was a Delco the other was a Boine. He renewed it with a replacement cam,I tried to repair mine, it never worked right. I have seen replacemts on Ebay, I don't know the quality.
1966 DeVille
1968 Eldorado
1969 Eldorado

Thomas Klak

Hi,
thanks for the suggestions. Got it working again yersterday. It was a problem with the wiring under the steering column.