News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado Seville / Biarritz Lower Quarter Panel Material ?????

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, July 31, 2008, 09:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
   I have always thought the lower Quarter Panel of the Seviile and Biarritz Were made from stainless steel . I have a scratch in one side that i would like to polish or repair . However they are  magnetic and now i am not sure if they are plated or not .  They sure do look like stainless steel .  And can a scratch be polished Out ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

David King (kz78hy)

Bill

This is just an educated guess.  I think those parts are stainless steel that were "flash chromed"  I'm 99% certain that my Brougham wheel shields are the same makeup.

Some day I will know for sure, but think the manufacturing process would be similar for those high end cars.

My 2 cents.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Otto Skorzeny

Stainless steel, as the name would suggest, is steel. That means it's made from iron. Iron is magnetic. 

Whether or not the part is stainless steel or chrome plated steel, I do not know.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

Not all stainless steel is non-magnetic --- but some certainly is.
:)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Yes, some stainless has lower iron content relative to carbon, etc. Depending on the strength of the magnet, it may not stick to all stainless steel.

I guess my point was that you can't rely on a magnet to determine the piece's composition. If it sticks, it just rules out non-ferris metals. If it doesn't stick, it could be a number of things.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bill is ABSOLUTELY correct. The SS was flash chrome plated. Just got the last of my SS moldings back from the plater. They look fantastic. See my previous post topic on this plating. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

CLC#12231

There are many grades of stainless steel, some magnetic some non-magnetic.  They can be separated into two broad categories, 300 series and 400series stainless steels. The 300 series stainless steels are in the main non-magnetic and the 400 series are in the main magnetic.  For decorative purposes the auto industry has in the past used 430 grade stainless for things like moldings and shiny panels.  It is magnetic.
Frank

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello To all,
  I guess what I am finding out is that my panels are stainless , but they are flash chromed, . If I tried to polish out the scratch I would be removing the plating ,and that would turn a bad situation even worse, I think I will take the panel to Frankford Plating In Philadelphia , and get his opinion the scratch . I will let you know how I make out .

Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS