News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado with Fuel Injection...Question

Started by Sonny, August 04, 2008, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny

I own a 1976 Eldorado Convertible, having a 500 ci with the fuel injection option.  Of the 14,000 convertibles produced, seems I read someplace (cannot remember where) that only approximately 800 of them had the fuel injection option.

Is this accurate, and/or can someone point me in the right direction on where I can obtain this information.  The searching I have done has left me empty handed.

Thanks!
Sonny

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

In my discussions with Gene Kowalski (now of GM Powertrain) who worked for Bendix Corporation (makers of the 1975-1979) fuel injection system approx. 1000 sets of hardware for the larger 500 cubic inch engine were produced for 1976.  Most of these ended up in convertibles so your number of 800 is probably pretty close. I have a 1976 Eldorado Coupe with fuel injection, and I have also seen it on a Sedan deVille.  This same type system but with smaller injectors was used on the 1976-1979 Sevilles and Eldorados with the 350 Cubic inch engine.  The larger injectors had a green band on the body and the smaller injectors were blue banded or vice versa ( from memory, I don't have my notes with me).

Lars Kneller 8246

Tim, Would Gene know how many sets were made for the 425 engines used 77-79?

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

I will call him and ask the questions about quantities and years.

TJ Hopland

Also curious why the shop manuals say it was not an option on 78 Eldo's.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Well I contacted Gene Kowalski, who sent me in the direction of Bruce Harvey (another Bendix Engineer at that time)....neither one could come up with an exact number other than 1000 units in 1976 was probably close.   Bruce will be attending a Bendix Re-union function that occurs every two years , which just happens to be this September......he will pose the question to that group and hopefully someone will have more exact info they can pass forward.   The answer to the why Not on the 1978 Eldorado, was that 1978 represented a new set of emissions regulations, Cadillac didn't want to spend the money to certify the Fuel Injection for one year only as 1979 would be the new smaller Eldorado , so the decision was made to certify carburetor only for 1978, because that was where the higher volume of sales was.  In 1980 the Cadillac Throttle body (DFI) fuel injection was a Cadillac system not Bendix so 1979 was the last year for the Bendix system with the exception of the 1980 "California only"  350 cu inch equipped cars.     Bendix was bought out by Allied which became Allied-Signal, which was eventually then sold to Honeywell.  The controllers for the Bendix F.I. were actually made in Virginia, whereas the injectors were made in Michigan.   So the quantities were more closely related to number of controllers made than the number of injectors made ( 8 per engine).  Hope this helps , will have to wait for a September follow -up for more info.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

CONTINUING the above string....... the Bendix Fuel injection was 100% accross the board on the 350 CU in engine in the 1976-1979 Seville,  so the question about how many on the 1977-1979 425 engine in the standard Devilles is "muddied" , but Bruce's reccollection was that the quanity increased every year until cancelled.