News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Speedometer

Started by jaxops, August 10, 2008, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaxops

This is a victory note, not to anyone in particular.......

I spent the last 3 weekends replacing my speedometer which stopped working after the 1st restoration shop left it opened to the shop debris for 8 months.  I bought an NOS speedometer.....now how to get it in there?????

Of course I took the dash top off, but removing the back of the speedometer housing was difficult as there is zero room to shift it around and wedge it out.  I did find that removing the upper vent hose and vent diffuser housing aided no further cuts to my hand as I worked the housing out.  It moved back 2 inches easily but not up.  It took a lot of careful moving, centimeters at a time until it came out. Of course all of that shifting around and I broke my working temperature gauge.  Yes- they stick out forward several inches from the housing so going up basically snaps them off.   The new speedometer went in a little easier but now I had to get the 2 gauges in.  I replaced the temp gauge and had an NOS fuel gauge.  I invented a screwdriver with a screwdriver (taped 2 together) to give me length so I could reach the screws for the back of the speedometer housing and the 2 gauges.  The best tool when working from the top was a small rachet Phillips head that I got at Sears.  It is very thin, unlike a regular rachet. 

Now that the housing was back together, I was all done, right?  Well make sure that you read up and test the lights, not like I did, re-assembling it thinking that I had them all in the right places....yep, had to take the dash apart again and do it right his time.  My clue was when I turned on the parking lights, my GEN and OIL lights came on....Dooaaahhhh!

Now for the cable.  I jacked the car up and found that my expensive but 5" too short cable from USAPARTS had the spinner snapped because the old speedometer was frozen up.  I replaced the cable (not so easy under a car that sits 5-6" off of the ground.  I am always very careful to use jack stands, but always kind of uneasy under such a huge car.  I had few thoughts of success because the blasted screw-on connection was hard to get started and seemed to go only a few turns....so i figured it would pop out.  Strangely enough it worked and for the first time I have a speedometer that is reliable.

Note to other speedometer self-helpers: save yourselves and don't do this procedure!!!!!!!  Professionals probably can do these quite easily but it takes a lot of time and you have to be able to leave it apart until ready to really really re-assemble.  There's not much I don't know about this car now.

See you on the weekend road!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA