News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Radial Tires on a 37 LaSalle Coupe

Started by John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased., August 11, 2008, 04:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

Just put a set of 16" radials, from Diamond  Back on my 37 LaSalle. I spun balanced the tires using my old Hunter spin balancer and the front drivers side took one ounce and the passenger side took 2 and a half ounces.

Now the question. I believe I need to get the front end realigned for the radials. Anyone out there can tell me what I need to change the settings to?

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Bob Schuman

John,
This may not apply to your LaSalle, but the Diamondback 700-15(Yokohama made) tires have been on my 41 Cadillac for 11000 miles, show almost no wear, and drive great. Alignment was at factory specs before the Diamondbacks and no changes were made for the radials. I suggest you go with factory specs and see how it drives.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Otto Skorzeny

Others may write in contradicting me but I'm pretty sure that if your vehicle tracked straight before, it will track straight now.

The tow and camber settings shouldn't change because of the radials. I know I didn't do anything differently on my '56 when I switched from bias ply to radial tires. They have 10,000 miles on them and they show no abnormal wear. The bias plyy tires would be worn out by now.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

harvey b

Hello John,i too want to put a set of radials on my 37 cadillac,i have a set of wide whites in bias-ply on it now that were new 1000 miles ago,i am not happy with the way the car handles,i have had the front end aligned wheels balanced etc,still no improvement.Maybe i am expecting too much from it?Car seems to turn left better then right seems like something is stiff to move?I would like to know how much of an improvement the radials will be,what better way than from someone who has a similar car like mine ::) let us know how it works. Thanks Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Fred Zwicker #23106

When I purchased my 1939 LaSalle convertible, it had bias tires.   I know that all of us are now used to power steering on our modern cars, but steering the LaSalle, especially at low speeds when pulling in and out of my garage was almost impossible with the bias tires.  The ride was good and steering on the highway wasn't too bad.  Two years ago I pulled into a friend's very long driveway and due to a party at his home, there was no room to turn around except by backing up and moving forward about ten times.  As a result I tore a rotator cuff in my left shoulder (not fun for any that have had such an injury).  After that, I changed the car to radial whitewalls from Diamondback and couldn't be any happier - perhaps the ride is not quite as soft, but handling at any speed is like day and night.  But when pulling in and out of a garage or into a parking space, the difference is amazing. I highly recommend radials for anyone driving their older Cadillac or LaSalle.

The above is the good news.  The bad news is that for judging, points will be deducted for radial tires.  As a result, I worked up a second complete set of extra wheels and ordered a set of original-looking Firestone bias tires from Coker for judging purposes only.  As soon as the GN and the Glenmoor Gathering in Canton are over this year, the radials will be reinstalled and the bias tires wrapped up for the future in case I later decide to submit the car to any serious judging.   By the way, Diamondback radials do not require inner tubes and since installing, have had no leakage of any kind.  (We did put a lot of paint on the inside of the rims in hopes that this would seal any minor leakage, as the '39 LaSalle wheels are rivetted together in this area). 

Good luck on your decision.  Attached is a picture showing a radial tire on my car. 

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Dave Leger CLC #19256

John - I posted a question for you over on the AACA Technical forum - you might get additional opinons there.  There's one response so far:  http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/530456#Post530456

Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

Mike Simmons 938

John- I copied the following from Hot Rod  (I think) many years ago. . In response to a question about "radial tuned suspension" , the Pit Stop tech answered as follows: "Radial tires' sidewalls aren't as firm  as the sidewalls on conventional bias tires. The more flexible sidewalls result in the radials having less camber change  and less of a "tuck under" tendency in the corners. Less initial camber can be dialed into the suspension alignment setting, again allowing greater "footprint" contact under cornering conditions. Shock calibration and spring rates can also be increased. However, radials tend to feel "harsher" to the driver since they transmit high frequency vibrations into the passenger compartment. If ride quality (as opposed to optimum handling) is the primary goal, more and softer rubber bushings are needed on a radial suspension to damp out unpleasant ride characteristics."   A bit long, but it's all I know. More oriented to a race car, but if it helps you figure out what to do- it serves it's purpose.
Mike

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Mike,

Thanks. The consistent thought, as you listed, is that "radials like caster and hate camber".

So for this old gal Caster will be set at 1 degree (max per specs) and Camber 0 degree (min per specs).

The radials have made a dramatic difference in driveability, so not sure this will change it much but will give it the old college try. Remember Animal House...
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Otto Skorzeny

We didn't give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
fward

CLC#12231

Frank

Otto Skorzeny

Dear Frank,

Obviously you're not a devotee of one of Hollywood's finest creations.

May I suggest you swing by the nearest Blockbuster this weekend and pick up a copy of Animal House. Be sure to stop at the package store on the way home to get a 6 pack, too. You'll understand my reference and have a blast doing it!

Forrest
fward

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Otto Skorzeny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtP3whUbgZE&feature=related

here's a really bad clip on you tube. You have to turn the volume way up.

After making the suggestion to Frank last night, I thought it sounded like a good idea for me too.  I went over to the Kroger and picked up some refreshment. Then I went to the video store and they were out of it! I rented 300 instead. It was good but I wanted to see Dean Wormer tell Blutarsky, "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

It's not? Oh well, too late now.
fward

baxterculver

John,
Here are the final settings on my '39 60S.  I am using 7:00 X16 Diamondbacks.   I don't know what the differences are between your '37 LaSalle and the 60S (static settings for bias ply from factory).  The settings below were done by a local font-end alignment shop using the latest laser, four-wheel, widget-type stuff that reads in digital images etc.

Camber:  Left -0.6"  Right  0.4"
Caster:           0.3"           0.4"
Toe:              0.08"          0.09"
SAI:               6.1degrees  5.0degrees
Included
  Angle            5.4degrees  5.4degrees

Before alignment to these specs, the car was darty, tended to wander, needed full-time constant steering.  There was an improvement over the bias plys but it needed adjustment.  Now it drives steady, and is easy to manage.  Made these adjustments prior to our trip to Colorado for the Driving Tour
baxter culver clc#17184