News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

75 Eldo AC/Heat programer

Started by Robert CLC #20619, August 13, 2008, 04:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert CLC #20619

I am having problems with HVAC system on my 75 Eldo. I have no cold AC which is from a leak in the system and I have to recharge. When I turn on the car the high speed fan comes on and blows hot air. The only way to shut off the fan is to un hook the connection at the relay. I know that the compressor is coming on so the fan come on but there is no control on the system. The controller does not work so I am assuming that it is the programmer and maybe the controller. Is there any test to determine what is the source? If I need a new programmer can I still get one? If so where and how much? Any ideas on cause or fix would be great.

Thanks
Robert
Robert

1975 Eldo Conv
1968 Deville Conv
1966 Eldo Conv
1947 62 Conv
1947 Buick Roadmaster Conv

TJ Hopland

For the fan, if its like a 78 the relay was a little undersized so it tended to run hot which was hard on the socket which made things run even hotter so the body of the relay distorts to the point where the contacts stick on.  Replacing the relay does not last long due to damage to the socket.   When that happened on my 78 a friend told me it happened to him on his 69.

The factory shop manuals have fairly detailed info on that system and much of it does not appear to require special tools.

Only place I have seen 'rebuilt' parts listed lately is USA parts.   Ted In Olympia has a bunch of eldos for parts, he may have one, only catch may be some of his are pretty beat when he gets em so testing may be difficult but I would not worry because he has a great reputation for making things right on all his sales.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ted in Olympia WA

The programmers are the same from 74 to 78 so I know I got some used ones.  TJ is right that I have no way to test them or the know how to do so.  Also I only got one car so far that the air really worked in, people don't go out of their way to fix it in the Northwest.

You can email me at tmdunlap@comcast.net with your needs.

Thanks for all the kind words TJ; I do try to treat my customers right.  The only problem is that I work full time and have lots of projects so I'm a bit slow sometimes, but I try.

I don't want to sell bad parts or have unhappy customers so I do my best to make them happy.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Herb

Robert, I've got a set and will be bringing them to the Grand National on Saturday. Look me up if you are coming.Preservation Class 1975 Jennifer Blue Eldorado. Herb Fearn (21704)

Mike Shawgo

Cadillac Tim is another good source for programmers and such.  I've bought several items from him that are all top notch, and he is also very helpful with giving advice over the phone.   I got a programmer for my 1971 Eldorado from hiim, and it worked perfectly.

http://www.cadillactim.com

--Mike