News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Got a 59 from the Nevada desert, rear half gone. Is it a 4 or 6 window??

Started by John Morris #23947, August 14, 2008, 09:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris #23947

Can someone tell me how to tell if this 59 sedan is a 4 or 6 window? It was cut in half in 1973, the rear half is gone. I must know because the windshield stuff is different on the 4 and 6 window. 
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Jim Jordan

Looks like the shorter windshield of a 4 window flat top to me.  I sthe trim tag still on the firewall?

Stampie

VIN number will give it up also.  A and B for four window, K and L for six window.  Have to say that's the best looking 59 I've seen lately. 

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

John Morris #23947

I forgot to mention, no data plate. STAMPIE!! You should see the CHROME on this thing! The outside mirror  looks NOS!! Horn ring, horn center, both main dash moldings, all dash knobs, all handles, pwr window switches, NOT A SINGLE TINY PIT!! Complete a/c system! POWER DOOR LOCKS!! [front half of a 4 door set] It was worth the trip into a roasting hell [Nevada] including breakdowns!
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

John Morris #23947

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ted in Olympia WA

Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

veesixteen

If it's that important, you could get the model type from the VIN, which is stamped on the LH front frame member, near the cross-brace for the radiator (you may have to do some light wire-brushing to make it legible).  With that number (and $50!) you could get a copy of the build sheet from Cadillac Historical.  Are there no remaining visible clues as to whether it's a Series 62 or 63 (De Ville)? You should be able to tell from the door panel and upholstery trim).  Interesting find.  I came across a '59 Eldo Seville in the same "desert preserved" condition, off route 66 near Albuquerque, back in 1978.  I often wonder if anyone towed it home !
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

59_limo

John -

Is the cowl of this car the one I just bought on eBay?  Yes it is...

I'm looking forward to rec'ing it!

Missed out on the Stainless on the front of the hood though. 

I'm also looking for the Stainless on the back of the trunk & a FLEETWOOD trunk bar.

I can see this car is missing those... 

chuck
Chuck Stoops aka 59_limo

John Morris #23947

Yes, this is the car!! Look at the auctions from it. We loaded the car on my trailer by lifting it from the rear with a huge crane!

http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/merchant/zonzloid_W0QQLHQ5fCompleteZ1QQ_ipgZ50QQ_sopZ1

Philippe M. Ruel

1952 60 Special in France.

John Morris #23947

Hello Philippe. The tag was missing, but after scooping all the poop out of the glove box, we found the tag! It was a 6339.