News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 body id tag replacement

Started by Ohio57-62Sedan, August 14, 2008, 02:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio57-62Sedan

Hello.
        My name is John I just got my first Cadillac she's a 62 series sedan deville. The motor #'s and the Vin #'s match. can i get a replacement? I really just want to know what options it came with...I do beleave the color shuld be Taho blue, The inside of the trunk seemes to all O.E.

Ohio57-62Sedan

HELP anyone????  where shuld the body tag be? above the booster?

homeonprunehill

OHIO57-62sedar
I think your best bet is to "authenticate" your car, It will set you back $50.00 but you will you will be supplied with "numbers" that you don't have now and will need to have a new data-plate made. you will receive several peices of information that you will need. OHIO57, yes , the data-plate is on the engine- side of the fire-wall, drivers side of car . Go to the "home"page and look for Authenticate"your car. Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

cali1957arto36@sbcglobal.

hello if your asking where the #s are ????  front right side on the block  and as for the frame ..its on the rightside on top a few inchs away fron the right upper arm the 3rd and last is the oil id tag   drivers door near the strike plate... its plastic ..you can get the plastic one replaced from datatags.com .. looks very good !!
Arto

Ohio57-62Sedan

Thank's Guy's this has been an awesome experience. i do plan on making a call monday to join the club. would any of you know who to contact for a mew data-plate..  hey thank's again.

John Kechler

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi, maybe I'm missing something here. It sounds like you're not sure where the data plate is located. If someone that HAS  a 57 could post the info for you, it might be there.  Let us know. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

David King (kz78hy)

Hi

Here is photo of my ID tag.  It is located on the LH side of the engine compartment.  This tag shows the body number, trim and paint numbers, and options codes.

As noted above, your brake booster is mounted just in front and below this tag.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Ohio57-62Sedan

Thats it.. I thought that's where it was. I have two holes there but no plate :( . thanks for the pictures dave now would anyone know who or where I can have one made?  I'm working to  authenticate everything now, the motor numbers on the right side of the block match the numbers in the door jamb. the car and title show 30,000 mi . I believe I'm the third owner and the second owner has spent the last 25 years tinkern with it. i haven't found too much wrong with it. She starts goes through the gear's but no brakes yet. I have only ran it in the shop though. Thank's again for all of your help..

Walter Youshock

John,

Congratulations on your purchase.  The place for you to start is by getting a copy of the Build Sheet from Technical Services.  Before you do this, make sure the number on the engine block and the passenger side of the frame match as well.  Your sheet will have all the codes for paint, interior, option and accessory groups.  It looks like the car is currently Bahama Blue which was an extra-cost Eldorado color.  Also, every option except for power trunk and the "Q" engine were available through the dealer.

Without seeing the interior, there is no way to tell if it is a deVille or base 62-series. 

You may also want to consider the Authenticity Manual for Class 16. 

As soon as you get the Build Sheet, post the codes and we can translate them for you.  Then we can work on reproducing the body tag.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

harvey b

Hello John,that is a neat car you have there,its a long shot but did you ask the previous owner if he seen or maybe has the tag from the firewall,lots of times the old owners have some of this stuff that they were saving,or maybe it might be in the car someplace,you never know what you will find?. HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Ohio57-62Sedan

Harvey,
            I wish it was going to be that easy,,, the previous owner has passed away and his wife is in a nursing home, Their kid's sent this car to the crusher.... can you believe that.. in the glove box was a power of attny. and title i did track down his daughter but she was no help at all. I just don't know what's wrong with some people..

Ohio57-62Sedan

okay here i go again guy's,
                                      walter thanks for the e-mail i'm trying to post a pic of the interior i hope im not too much of a pain in the a**

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

John:

As mentioned in an earlier post, you must first authenticate your car to find out
what accessories and exterior / interior / trim colors were used.  The contact
for that service is on the CLC website.  All you need is the serial number (from the
engine or on the frame) to get started.

Once you have that info, a firm called AG Backeast at http://www.datatags.com/
can make you a data plate that will look good as a new one and also supply you
with the correct rivets.  His data plates are exactly like the originals and I've used
them -- he does a great job.

Good luck!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Walter Youshock

From the interior shot, it is a Sedan deVille.  The seat pattern is definitely deVille and what can be seen of the door trim is also consistent with a deVille trim.  I doubt, however, that it originally came with a black leather interior.  It was most likely blue cloth and leather or blue cloth and white leather.  A photo of a door would help, as well as the dash and steering wheel. 

If both the grips and wheel rim are two shades of blue, it was blue cloth and leather.  If the wheel grips are blue and the rim is white, it was white leather and blue cloth.  Also, we can't be sure the metal door trim was never repainted.  Most likely, the wheel was never changed.  The cloths used were either brocade with a floral pattern or Sahara cloth that was a small Paisley pattern.  Again, from what I can make out from the photo, it was an all-blue interior.  The Build Sheet will give us the interior code and we can figure out the material from there.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ohio57-62Sedan

okay guy's all therr sets of # match i paid the 50.00 and they told me i would get the build sheet in two week's, thats goanna kill me...LOL i took some more pictures with my phone today i really want to make this car all original no matter what it takes, and it seem's that you guys have already done alot of work yourselves and i cant thank you enough for all of your help. once again
  you guy's are awesome!!!

Ohio57-62Sedan

here is a pic of the inside of the trunk i don't think it was ever repainted

Otto Skorzeny

It's hard to believe that this car was sent to a junkyard for scrap. I'm glad you rescued it. It looks like it's in pretty decent shape overall.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

WOW!  I'm baffled on this one...

Black leather was available as a "SO" (Special Order) interior.  Is the headliner perforated or non-perforated vinyl?  It really looks like somebody started resoring it to their preference and stopped.  The monochromatic wheel and Bahama blue painted trim don't jive as original.  Whoever did the work, it looks rather nice in the photos.

The inside of the trunk lid looks like Orion blue, code 20 or Polo gray, code 14.  The Bahama blue on it now (interior and exterior) is code 94, an Eldorado color. 

Without that Build Sheet, there is no way to really tell what the interior is/was...

Are the cowl kick pads black leather/vinyl or a different material?

I can see it has heater, radio, EZ Eye glass and probably had white walls.  These came under Basic Group "A".  It also looks like it has fog lights, so it probably came with Equipment Group 4 or 5, depending on the number of license frames.  Dor-Gards were also included in the Equipment Group.

Waiting 2 weeks is gonna kill ME, too!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ohio57-62Sedan

Walter,
yeah i think your right....the headliner is not perforated but the visors are.. the kick panels are lather/vinyl as well.. i put the fog lamps in it i pick up a bunch of parts for 70.00 bucks. four fog lamp's ,front and rear wiring harness ,the fin emblems , and drivers side rear window.. i wish he had more parts that i need..he was passing out the deals that day i was at a swap meet and some guy wanted two hundred bucks for the fog light's.

Walter Youshock

OK, another piece of the puzzle, then...

You added the fog lights.  That throws off some codes.  Also, what color are the visors?  The '57's I've seen with full-leather interiors have non-perforated headliners and visors.  If those are still perforated, it's probable they haven't been redone.  BUT:  visors and headliners were done in the lighter interior tone that matched the seat bolsters...

13 days and counting...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham