News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

79 deville lock cylinder and key stuck in run position

Started by joecaristo, August 21, 2008, 03:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecaristo

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem and what is wrong? Had to disconnect the battery because the blower motor and dash lights are on in the run position. Can not move the cylinder or pull the key out. I checked the shop manual and it seems its either the ignition switch or the lock cylinder itself. (?)
Any comments on what to do will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Joe
Joe Caristo

Ohio57-62Sedan

i hate when that happens. my best advice to you is to take the steering wheel off. then there is a puller for the lock ring.. the little clip is hard to get ahold of so i sugest you use a scribe to pop the clip out then get under it with a screw driver work it around the shaft.you'll have to unplug the turnsignal switch  and pull it up enough to get the tumbler pin or button.take it out or push the button in and pull the tumbler out. is your column telescopic???? if so there is a special screw to holt that in place as well...

harvey b

Hello Joe,i would check to see if your gearshift lever is not binding up,if it wont go all the way into park,the key will not turn back,there is a little rod that runs from the key switch to the neutral safety switch that may be binding up too.also i would check under the hood to see if the shifting mechanism is not jammed or seizing up.i would try this first before removing the wheel and colum. HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

joecaristo

Thanks to all for your advice. Harvey, do you know where the neutral safety switch is located? I would like to check that before I remove the wheel. Thanks.
Joe Caristo

76eldo

Joe,

Probably on the lower steering column, facing up, clamped to the column.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

RobW

The part that the rod goes into on the lower end of the steering column is the the ignition switch.  The "switch" where the key goes is a lock cylinder and the neutral safety switch is something else altogether. Don't play with the neutral safety switch or you'll need to adjust the setting to be sure the car only starts in Park and Neutral.  Sometimes they are a little finicky and its hard to get them back to exactly where they were. If not adjusted correctly the car may start in Reverse or Drive.
To be safe follow the rod to the ignition switch.
Rob Wirsing

joecaristo

Just wanted to update this post. I decided to replace the ignition cylinder. I pulled the steering wheel off using a wheel puller.
Pretty easy till you get to the lock plate. I recommend using the lock plate removal tool. Best 20 bucks I ever spent. After removing the turn signal lever screw, 3 turn signal cam screws I positioned the cam so I could get to the ignition cylinder screw. I have T&T steering so I had to remove the key warning buzzer switch. To install this piece back in position you must place key cylinder in a position so you can push the plastic tab back in. This was a little tricky. Theres more detail to this job but I just wanted to post a short version of what happened. The 1979 shop manual worked well and I recommend using it. I replaced the cylinder and the car starts and shuts off fine. The only mistake I made was tapping the wheel puller a few times to get the steering wheel off. (oops) Had to rethread the steering shaft to get the telescopic lever back on. Not a big deal but wanted to mention it so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Now I can cruise again!
Thanks,
Joe
Joe Caristo