News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question on 1978 Eldorado Biarritz Horns

Started by Matt CLC#18621, August 23, 2008, 12:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

Question on 1978 Eldorado Biarritz Horns      

The horn stopped working.  When I was checking connections, I noted that there is a cluster of three horns next to the radiator overfill bottle on left side and a single horn mounted to the left wheel well.  Is this correct that there should be FOUR horns in total on the 1978 Eldorado Biarritz?

Thanks,

Matt

Ted in Olympia WA

Yes this is correct.  In 1976 (maybe 1975) they did away with the actual trumpet horn and replaced with the forth regular horn, this this is the trumpet horn set you have.

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for all four horns not to fail.  If you have a portable battery pack you can test each horn to see what ones work.  If none of them honk I know of no way to get life back into them.

Good luck.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

TJ Hopland

There should be a relay.  On the 78 devilles the relay was next to the fuse box with the antenna and blower relays.  I think the eldos still had the 'old' fuse block with glass fuses so it may be in a different location or maybe not even have one?   If you can find it you should be able to further isolate the problem.  On my 78 the issue is in the steering wheel.  Have not yet taken the time to take it apart and see.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ted in Olympia WA

The relay is down low on the firewall right behind the brake pedal.  It also doubles as the buzzer so you should be able to follow the sound.

I would test the horns directly first, if they don't blow you sure are not going to fix them any other way.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Put "horns" into the search function and you will see quite a bit of info as to how
to rejuvinate horns that aren't working.  Often it's quite simple.  This was discussed
in much detain a few months back.

Yes, 4 horns on most of the 70's Eldo's are correct.  My '73 has 3 clamshell types plus one
trumpet.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region