News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Special Tools

Started by Kerry Pilling, August 24, 2008, 02:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Pilling

Does anyone know if there is a publication out there that shows all the special and or regular tools that were used in the overhaul and maintenance of 1939 LaSalles? I would be especially interested in something with pictures. This would help me to locate the tools at swap meets and ebay. Thanks for any help. Kerry CLC Member

Fred Zwicker #23106

Kerry - You may want to contact Bruce Berghoff, as he sells tool kits and jacks for the 1939 LaSalle.

Bruce Berghoff
PO Box 34
Arcadia, MI  49613

He furnished the jack and tool kit that I displayed with my car at the recent GN in Cherry Hill - see photos.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Kerry,

Kent Moore produced most of the tools listed in the Cadillac shop manuals. Carburetor companies produced their own tools also. Anyway see if you can find an old Kent Moore Catalog, like I did, on e-bay. Generally they list the number of the tool and show a picture. You can then cross reference to the shop manual. Later Snap-On and other reproduced them also, so find an old Snap-On Catalog it will help seperate you from your hard earned cash.

Watch out, you may get side tracked like I did. Now I have a car hobby, SUN machine hobby, and exotic hard to find Cad tools hobby.

Good Luck

john washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Warren Rauch

The literature that is avalible on this subject is spotty at best. In 1938 Hinkley-Myers the supplier of special tools published a 24 page booklet "Approved Service Tools for Cadillac LaSalle". It contained pictures of 150 tools in use on current and resent models. The listing in the Cadillac Serviceman is "Each tool is described and illustrated individually and each has a  listing of the various series on which it is used" . This would be a great start , as few tools were added for 39. The next new catalog that I am aware of came out in 1946. As new tools were introduced they were pictured and described in the Serviceman. Also in these years there was a contest in the Serviceman ,for mechanics who developed new tools to share them. These tools could be made from what was included in the Serviceman. Hinkley-Myers became(?) a part of Kent-Moore about WW II. In the Feb 1946 Serviceman they list the new tools and catalog and tell you to order them from Hinkley-Myers. But a sidebar was added to inform you to now order from the parent company Kent-Moore. If you do find a copy of the 1938 catalog could I have a Photo copy, I keep getting out bid on eBay. Warren

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Warren,

I am one of them guys who outbid ya. I have the 38 Hinckley-Myers Catalog, it's 23 pages in length.

I will have to check to see what it costs to reproduce if your interested.

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Kerry Pilling

My Thanks to all who responded. I would like a copy of the catalog John, let me know if your willing and the cost. I would appreciate it very much. I managed to find a nice Hastings compression tester that lists the 39 LaSalle and it's like NOS. I also found a "Junior Carter Carburetor" tool box full of all the specialty tools needed to overhaul Carter carbs from about 1930 thru 1954. This kit even had all the instructions with it. It's been very handy for helping me rebuild my 39 LaSalle Carter carb! Please email me if you get the chance, to let me know if you can provide me a copy of the tool manual. My email address is kpilling@hotmail.com, thanks. Kerry