News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle Engine Oil Dip Stick

Started by Bill D CLC#21057, August 25, 2008, 02:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill D CLC#21057

I have a 1937 LaSalle 5027, two door coupe, the car was missing the dip stick when I got it. I ordered from one of the parts houses that advertises in the CLC magazine. The first one was real short and with seven known quarts in the engine it was just barley touching the oil. They sent me another longer one but it measures way above the full line by 1 1/2 inch. I know how much is in the engine because I just drained and filled it. The stick measures 21 1/4 inches. This is measured from where it attaches to the cap down to the tip. Can someone measure a proper dip stick so I can get the right one, thanks
1937 LaSalle 5027

harvey b

Hello Bill,i measured the dip stick on my 37 caddy engine and it is 19 3/4 long measured from the tip to the base of the cap,not up inside the cap?it also is expanded about 6 inches up from the tip,it looks like it is to keep the stick centered in the tube?i can post a pic if you want,it is too dark here now for that,the stick you have shown is smooth and does not have the expanded part that mine has,my motor is the original for my car,i have no reason to beleive the dip stick is not original too,mine is a 346,yours should be a 322,not sure if the sticks are the same or not? HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

My master parts book show the dip stick to fit all 37 cars including La Salle. It fits 37 only. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bill D CLC#21057

It sounds like I need the 19 3/4 inch stick with the flare at the end. I do have a 322 engine. I measured mine in refrence to if it were the 19 3/4 and that would give me near 2 inches of oil on the stick from the bottom. I now have 4 inches with the longer stick. Thanks Harvey B and Mr. Hoffman for taking the time to measure or look something up. Thats what makes this a fine club!   
1937 LaSalle 5027

Brent Morison

Quote from: Bill D CLC#21057 on August 25, 2008, 02:35:35 AM
...The stick measures 21 1/4 inches. This is measured from where it attaches to the cap down to the tip. Can someone measure a proper dip stick so I can get the right one, thanks

Did you finally get the answer you need? If not, I will measure mine for you. The dipstick in mine is marked 4 qts, 5, 6, 7 with a note that says "do not fill beyond 7 quarts. Pitures are available if needed. I'm sure mine is original as my Dad bought the car from the original owner in 1956.

Bill D CLC#21057

if you could I would appreciate it. I think it is supposed to be 19 3/4 from the tip to flush with bottom edge of the cap.
1937 LaSalle 5027