News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 Cadillac rear axle Help please

Started by Steve Passmore, August 28, 2008, 06:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Passmore

Can anyone help an English club member please, I am restoring a 37 convertible coupe here in England and have found it has the Pinion bearing shot in the rear axle, I have not considered this a problem as I have build about 10 Buick rear ends over the last 20 years but this one has me stomped because Cadillac does not give any information in the workshop manuals about this, the opposite in fact, they tell you not to touch it even in a Cadillac repair shop of the day but to replace the complete diff unit. all well and good back in 1937 but I need to get into this baby somehow. there are no visible signs on how the bearings are held in or how the pre load and backlash would be set should I be able to get in there. Any members familiar with the axle who could help please, cant leave this pinion to wine away, You can email me at passmoresyankfarm@hotmail.co.uk. thanks Steve
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

homeonprunehill

08-28-08
Steve , you will need a "hub-puller" to remove the brake-hubs and a "slide-hammer"to remove the axles, These diffs are built difference then a 'Buick rear-end. After you get the axles out drop the "drive-shift" (make sure you have the wheels blocked)get the manf. name and part
number from the old bearing and try to match it up. As I'VE said before, I don't care what you are working-on a watch,rocket engine or a 1937 La Salle,YOU can fix it.  You may as well replace the axle bearing and seals while you are doing the job. HTH Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

tozerco

Steve,

Firstly, I agree with Jim. I spent several years afraid to touch my '37 75 series diff because of the statement in the shop manual and the fact that I could not find anyone in my home town that wanted to touch it. After a visit to Gene Menne in Indiana in the US in 1998 I was convinced to "have a go" at it.

The "black science" aspect of these diffs has now all evaporated. They built them so you can re-build them.

I haven't done my pinion yet because there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. This advice has been given before but if you type "Brad Ipsen" into the Club website search feature, about the ninth item down refers to replacement of the pinion seal in a '41 diff and gives you Brad's email address. If you contact him I'm sure he will send you a copy of what is a very informative article.

....and when you finish I would be very interested in knowing both how you attack the '37 and how it all turned out.

Regards,

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533