News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Has anyone had their car just shut down when using windows or convert top?

Started by collector, August 29, 2008, 02:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

If I use my convert top switch while the car is running and I accidentally go with the switch to close and the top is alreay up the car shuts totally off and nothing. The car is dead like I dont have a battery connected. I go and pull the hood latch and the car just comes back to life. Im telling you its the strangest thing I have ever encountered in my entire life. Once I restarted the car I went to make all the windows go down at once and the lights dimmed and the car shut off. What is going on? Then I went to use the top and it clicked and wouldnt go up or down. I finally after working the top switch back and fourth it finally went down. What is up with that? I wonder if there is a relay that is going out. The car starts like a dream and everything works but I just cant figure out what's happening. Has anyone had this issure before?

Glen

My guess is a bad battery.  I had a similar problem with a Die Hard battery.  I was driving in bumper to bumper traffic and I pushed the switch to roll down the window.  The car died. 

I’ve seen batteries that recover after they have gone to zero volts.  I can’t explain it but it happens. 

If you have a volt meter you can check the battery.  Put the meter leads on the battery post (not the cable connector) and monitor the battery voltage as you or a helper operate the top switch.  I think you will see the battery voltage drop well below 9 volts (assuming it’s a 12 volt system).  If it does then the battery is bad.   

Let us know what you find. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mr.Collector.
Check your electrical harness connections on the "starter-body" harness where the leads, including the fusible links attach to the body harness which is located just above the starter on the right (passenger) side of the motor.  Age and continuous heat from the engine, transmission and exhaust can and does create havoc on this connector.  It is a multiple pin connector. Pull the male and female apart, check for bad terminals, clean up the terminals and put it back together carefully. Let us know how that works out.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

I would also have a good look at the grounds also.  That connector by the starter is fairly easy to get apart.  The internal pins are just like many of the others where there is a little tab that can easily be released with a tiny screwdriver to get the whole pin out of the body for easier cleaning.  I usually use a dremel tool with a small wire wheel.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Shawgo

Sounds like a problem I had once right after I had put in a new alternator--turns out I had not completely tightened down the hot wire going to the alternator (got a phone call or something), and it was intermittently loosing the connection.

--Mike

Ted in Olympia WA

Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

76eldo

Ted is right.

I had the same thing happen to me on a 48 Packard.  The Packard has a huge hydraulic pump under the hoow, and ran the top, seat, and windows, which all had cylinders.

One time I was putting up the top, and everything died, and the car did just what you said.  I called a very well known Packard mechanic to ask if there was a master fuse or something like that in the car.  He said I had probably "flashed" one of the battery terminals.  I removed and cleaned both terminals, and everthing was normal again.

The other post regarding the wiring down by the starter is also good advice.  These wires are subjected to a lot of heat cycles, and sometimes a lot of oil and grease.  They get brittle, and lose the insulation.  I have had several 60's and 70's GM cars that needed the wiring repaired in that area.

Good Luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Glen

Normally when a battery terminal flashes it stays that way.  The way I read the original post this car recovers on its own.   That’s why I suspect the battery. 

The other posts all have good suggestions too. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

collector

Its not the battery as it is a new reproduction style energizer. The cables are original and are perfect.  Since the car only has 26k miles ( I thought it had 28k) I just looked at the odomoeter for the first time a few days ago. It has to be a ground somewhere. I will check the fuseable link first as I did have that problem with my 38k mile 79 Elegante and that wire was totally corroded. I replaced it with one from the junk yard and now its perfect. Thanks for that suggestion.