News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine and transmission identification

Started by dgilling, August 30, 2008, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgilling

Hi-

I have a couple of extra 331 engines and the transmissions that came with them.  I was told one engine/trans is a 53 and the other a 51.  How do I correctly identify the engines and trans?  The numbers I could find are:

engine #1) 3-24 above 1460704;  engine #2) 3-14 above 1456291.....  Trans #1 has no riveted on plate, but the casting number on the main housing is 7 8615013, and trans #2 has a plate that says C53 42868.

Thanks for any help?

Warren Rauch

The transmission with the serial that starts C53 is a 1953 . The other transmission  ,I can't help you with. The  engines look on the front face of the engine ,between the waterpump and the generator. There is machined area facing up. The engine / serial number of the car it came from is stamped there. The one should start 51 for 1951 and the other 53 for 1953.Warren

dgilling

Thanks for the help!  I will check it out today.