News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'81 CDV trunk pull-down motor

Started by Art, August 30, 2008, 09:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Hi, I have an '81 Coupe de Ville that I replaced the trunk pull-down motor. When I plugged it in, the hook raised to the up position. Closing the trunk doesn't actuate the motor to close the trunk. The part was sold to me as a good working used unit. My body wiring diagram doesn't show it. Is there a way to bench test it? My original one worked OK until the FL heat caused the plastic to disintegrate.
Thank you, Art

Guidematic

The motor relies on a ground connection to the trunk lid to initiate the pull down. I have fixed a few of these and what I have found is the conatcts in the switch on the top get dirty. They are pretty durable otherwise.

You can take them aprt, clean, retension and regrease (use silicone grease) the contacts. Then use a couple of small machine bolts in place of the rivetts to hold it together.

It's not really possible to bench test them, however I made up a harness so that I could do so. It saves a lot of on and off installation on the car to get it fixed and working.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Art Ford

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try and let you know. I'm guessing the motor is OK as it did raise the latch (hook?) once.....................Art Ford