News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1929 Runnout of Gas

Started by oldcarguy4u, September 02, 2008, 11:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarguy4u

I'm getting my 29 running after a 5 year restoration.  The Motor and Carb was professionally restored but was 4 years ago. The motor starts and runs good but at only very low rpm.  When I attempt to give it gas it dies out and sometimes back fires.  If I keep the choke out it will increase rpm's but only with the choke totally engaged.  It did run OK when first started three years ago.  Could I have carb problems caused by setting for two years with gas in it?  I want to use it for a wedding in three weeks and hope to get it running before then.

Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.  Jack Stover ---- jack@stoett.com

Wayne Womble 12210

Obviously lean. It will most likely be a carb or fuel pump problem.  I would check the fuel line to the carb just to confirm that the flow is good, then go to the carb.  These carbs are very easy to disassemble and clean.  Look for the obvious things like trash in the ports  and fittings. The most common problem area is  with the float and needle valve operation.  Mine will do the exact same thing if the float is set too low or it hits the side of the bowl.  I have also had a similar problem when a part in the vacuum pump fell off. 

paulp

Wayne pretty much has it nailed, so what to do first.  If fuel was in the Carb when parked several years ago you can be sure the Carb needs attention.  However I would do the easy stuff first.  1.  Make sure that the fuel line is clear.  Blow air thru line disconnected from carb back to the fuel tank. 2.  I would put an electric fuel pump, (about 5 psi should do it), in the line close to the fuel tank if possible, hook back up line to carb, turn on the pump and start the car.  If it runs, then your problem is the now five year old fuel pump.  3.  Replace or rebuild the fuel pump, remove the electric one, (if you want to stay original).  4.  If none of that works then you will likely have to deal with the carb made dirty by the residue left from the evaporated fuel.  In California our auto fuel starts to deteriorate after 6 months or so.    -  Paul  -   23300     
Paul N. Price   CLC 23300