News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Seville San Remo

Started by Gene Moscicki, September 02, 2008, 10:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Moscicki

??? San Remo on Ebay Item number: 270269389800.
Is any information out there about these wonderful cars? this 79 is # 15 with fender emblems stating #. My 79 has no fender #s spoke with original owner and He said none were on car when new. I have seen 2 door closed cars from 77-78 and convertibles from 78 & 79.
Here are the questions;
27-29 production for all 3 years?
How many each year?
How many coupes?
How many convertibles?
How many Ultima, the ones with the floating headlights as the Ebay car?
Only 12 cars left? I know of 5, other than my own.. How do I get so lucky.
When did they stop putting #s on them? I would think it the end of production 79 before the Fire that stopped production. or was it the new 80 seville? took me years to get to like them.
Thanks guys

76eldo

The San Remo was a very nicely built car.

How about that ebay listing?  1 photo?  National Vehicle Marketing is the seller.  Not much marketing going on with this listing.

They will never sell that car for $43,000, not even $25,000 without a much more extensive listing.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rich S

I agree, they need more photos in that San Remo e-bay listing. The San Remos were extra-nicely proportioned, for a "conversion" model, and they show high quality workmanship. It's too bad there aren't more of them around.  8)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

veesixteen

Here's an excerpt about the San Remo conversions, from the club's "Cadilléac Database":

Coach Design Group (California, USA) San Remo Ultima convertible by the company of Woodland Hills, CA; it is a conversion from a 4-door sedan to a 2-door convertible (some 200 might have been built between 1978 and 1979) (photos of 1979 version: SSA89, pp.2-7).  One of these was sold for $21,000 at the Barrett-Jackson venue in Scottsdale, AZ, in Jan. 2001.  BJ stated that only 24 units were built in 1978; but I have noted that BJ is often mistaken in its descriptions, identifications, VINs and even photos of the cars it offers for sale [in the virtual auction catalog, on the Web, the photo of the San Remo showed a mid-fifties Buick!] Another was offered for sale in Michigan; it was advertised in the Self-Starter issue for April, 2001 (p.24); the vendor claimed that 27 had been built [that is three more than claimed by BJ].  Who to believe? CLC member, G.L. Cockerill says:  "The point is, whether there was 24 or 27 (or 50!) built, it's a long way from the 200 that were planned. Seems like there's a story here, but who knows the details?  Doesn't someone out there have any NEW information, like press kits, names/locations of individuals involved in the conversion, details of construction? I think the idea of a San Remo registry is excellent. I am aware of one of these interesting cars, and plan to contact the owner urging him to support Mr. Boyce's efforts." Another Cadillac enthusiast, Tim Stephens from Belgium, sent this additional information in May 2003: "You were calling for more information on the 1979 Seville San Remo convertibles - Somewhere in my crates & crates of books & magazines I brought to Belgium [from Australia] , I have a 1979 issue of, I believe, Motor Trend, with a 3-4 page colour feature on one of these magnificent convertibles.  I note too, from memory and other bits & pieces I've seen on them, that the cornering lamps were deleted in favour of an air-scoop (yuk) but note that the cars on your page have their original cornering lamps intact.  All of those I've seen photographed appear to have got the 1974/75 Eldorado tail lamps fitted below a shortened deck lid, and their original Seville wraparound tail lamps deleted.  When I find the article, I'll scan off the article for you."
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Gene Moscicki

Yann;
Some of the information I have about the car (mine) the side glass is 76 Pontiac Ventura, I would think Chevy Nova is the same. The "A" pillar had to be laid back and lowered 2" to meet the door glass. A new windshield must be modified to fit. it is not standard Seville, Rear 1/4 windows are plexiglass custom fabricated. Top assy looks oem mid 70s g.m modified to fit,
latches and sun visor brackets are mid 70 G.M. rear side markers are 75 Nova. The whole car is remarkably rigid you can lift front or rear off the ground without any body flex and doors open and close fine. My Ultima has "floating headlights, no Seville side markers, markers on the car  look to be period Mopar bullseye markers to comply with government regulations  Rear tail light s are 74, 75 Eldorado. single lights on each side, I have seen pictures, I think in a magizine of a car with Stacked @ tail lights on each side and a claim that Buick Riviera lights have also been used, I have yet to have seen an air scoop in place of the side marker, I do not doubt that that scoops exists, The cars I have seen have ALL been different in some way, body modifications, Interior design and materials. I seriously doubt that there are two alike. A very custom design tailored to the buyers resources. I am told  that $55,000 is the cost of the car I have when new. That is far above the $32,000 base price listed in the brochure from Ogner Motors AKA Design Group Westlake Village Ca. The overall quality of the modifications are outstanding! It looks like a Factory made car rather than a modified 4 door hardtop
Well I have added my $.02 That leaves .98 left for the whole picture

veesixteen

Thanks for all that interesting info ; I'll update the entries on the San Remo conversions when I get home from vacation
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

wm link

I have had three coupes, one 1977 that was #6 /400 (if I remember correct), another 1977 that is # 11/400 I still own, and  a 1978 that was # 21/400 or so. All my cars have been numbered.  I think the PLAN was to build 400 cars...but that never happened due to excessive pricing...later the cars were numbered xx/200 before theygave up on numbers altogether.  The coupe was abandonded in 1978 due to poor sales....very few of those were built. San Remo also built 'Majoica' a custom Eldorado in 1977 and a 1979 Eldorado convertible before a suspect fire ended all production in 1979. I think the numbers restarted with each model year. If anyone would like a coupe...let me know I have one left.