News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Thermometer Mirror

Started by RobW, September 05, 2008, 09:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobW

I tried the search feature and only saw one response about removing the thermometer from a mirror. It said to hit the shaft from that hole in the base and drive it out. Is this the best way? How about installing? Don't think I want to hit the face to drive it back in. 
Were they originally glued in? I'm afraid if I try to drive out the shaft from behind I might drive the shaft right through the cover. Any thoughts?
Rob Wirsing

collector

They were originally glued in use an epoxy and it should fit just fine.

RobW

Yeah thanks, I found that out the hard way! LOL! Tried tapping from behind as that old thread suggested. Guess what? Yep, shattered the inside plasic backing that is connected to the shaft.
It seems the better way to remove it is to use a small pocket screwdriver. Make sure the edge on the screwdriver is flat and not chewed up.  Carefully work the screwdriver around the clear plastic cap gently prying and lifting as you go. You may need to go around the entire circumference a few times but slow and steady and it should come off.
I had another broken thermometer so I was able to piece together a complete one. Only thing is I'm not sure the thermometer will be accurate but I'm not really concerned about it. Its more of a novelty at this point anyway. As long as it doesn't register 30* on the hottest days of August I'll be happy.
I think I'll use some clear silicone to "glue" it back down. This way if I ever need to remove it, it should be easier to cut through the silicone.
Rob Wirsing

76eldo

Are you talking about opening up the thermometer itself, or taking out the whole thing including the post?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

RobW

Brian
Talking about removing the thermometer from the mirror in one piece.
Rob Wirsing