News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Re: Position of LOF Safety Plate Logo on 46', 47' Cad. Vents and Windshields

Started by Anthony P. Amman, September 06, 2008, 09:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony P. Amman

Is there anyone out there that still has original vent window and windshield glass in their vehicle?  60 or 62 series would be the same. I could really use some help in obtaining measurements from the edge of the vent glass where it meets the divider post to the edge of the word "Plate" at the bottom of the logo and then from the bottom of the chrome frame to the lowest point on the word "Plate".  I need the same measurements for the windshield glasses and the location of the logo- i.e.- are they located on the windshield roof pillar side of the glass or inboard next to the center division post?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Anthony #15293

Doug Houston

Your question is reasonable, only if you're not looking for micometer measurements, as so many seem to do. I could look at my own 38-60S, and give a good answer, because the original glass is in it, in perfect shape.

L-O-F had been GM's sole supplier of glass through about 1964, when PPG penetrated the east coast Fisher plants. From year to year, you may find differing location spacings for the trade mark stamps, and if a judge in any meet would try to tell me that a stamp's spacing was out of place, I'd have a net dropped over him / her.

You could look at almost any car which is similar to yours, and find the answers you are looking for. I worked in Ford Motor Company's glass plant for 6 months, while between colleges. I worked in the department where the glaass pieces were stamped, so I saw the process. They used a small sand blaster, that blew sand through a nylon tape with stecncils punched in it with the trade mark. The tape was advanced when a stencil would wear out So, the mark wqs sand blasted onto the glass. A new month brought new tape rolls. The glass piece would be placed over the sandblast head, with giude pins, to position it properly, then the operator pulled a lever and shot the blaster to mark the piece. Ventilators were marked near the rear end of the piece. Windshields were marked at the lower corner. If a (one piece) windshield neded up being marked for special installation because of double vision, the trade mark might be on the driver side, though it was usually on the passenger side.  Door glass customarily has been on the rear lower corner on all makes of cars.  Marks on quarter lights are generally on the front lower corner of the piece. But. marks might be on the front corners on some cars, and on the rear corner on others. Since you have a GM car, use another GM car as an example.

So, use almost any car, similar to yours, and you can't go wrong. I imagine that most glass shops could steer you where you want to be.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Gene Moscicki

The front vent window is directly above the vent latch lever at the bottom of the window.
On The windshield is located at the outside edge 1 1/2" up and 3/4"from the bottom  over on each side of my 47 series 62 coupe
Gene

Anthony P. Amman

Doug and Gene,

Thanks to both of you for your information!  The measurements you gave me Gene will be just right.  Doug, your background information on the stenciling process clears up part of the mystery for me as to how they did it originally.  Do you know how they created the actual stencil in the tape?  This was long before laser cutting was even thought of, which is how I had my stencil re-created using today's technology.

Thanks again,

Anthony #15293

Otto Skorzeny

Doug,

Your description of the Ford glass etching process is quite interesting. One thing that caught my attention was the mention of a windshield marked special for "double vision". What do you mean by that? Did Ford make special windshields for customers with double vision? How so? How did they differ?

Anyway, you may know this and I don't know if it's still true today but Ford was/is the largest manufacturer of glass (of any type - automotive and otherwise) in the entire world.

This was indeed true into the late 1980's. i don't know if they still are.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Doug Houston

The term "double Vision" is the shop term for double refraction in the glass. In some cases, for some unclear reason, a piece of laminated glass would come through to the inspector with this defect. It mattered only in windshields (still true), but may have been found in other body glass. The inspector at the machine I loaded had some red lights behind and above his station. If he saw double red lights reflecting in a windshield piece (Ford had 2 piece windshields then), the piece had double vision. If it was slight, he'd send it back to the sand blaster for a mark: RH for right hand placement. If the red lights were excessively separated, he'd smack the piece with a wrench and it would be scrap. Double vision would give a driver an image of four headlights from oncoming cars....not good.

Now, on the stencils. They were punched in the tape by a die. There were several hundred stencils in a roll of the white nylon tape.

As far as Ford being the largest glass maker, and all that, I don't know today. The plant I worked in was in the Rouge area, and I understand it is long gone. I would later find myself working with the glass industry while working for the Army in the sixties. At that time, there were only five companies in the US that MADE  flat glass. They were L-O-F, PPG, Ford Motor Co.American St.Gobain, and I forget the fifth one. Guardian was formed, I understand, by some of Ford's moguls who broke away, and went off on their own. They too, made glass. All other companies are fabricators.

Up to the time PPG took some of LOF's business from them, General Motors used polished plate glass throughout the body. Nobody else did.

38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Jim Thompson

I have an original 46 with all original glass. PM me if you need any info.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Anthony P. Amman

Jim, thanks for the offer of help with measurements.  I still had my original side glass for the doors and a NOS back glass with the holes in it for the division bars and logo already present. 

I've seen pictures of your car posted earlier last spring I believe.  You have a beautiful machine!

Anthony #15293