News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Cadillac Radiator shutters

Started by jbento, September 08, 2008, 09:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbento

I need a set of radiator shutters for my 1940 Series 72.

A wonderful, gracious and all around good guy of a member has the attached shutters, but all we know it that they come out of a "1940 caddy".  which series is a mystery.

Does anyone recognize them?  And if so, with they fit in a series 72?  Any suggestions on where to find the part number on this thing would be helpful too.

Many thanks!
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

Eric Quarnstrom

While facing the shutters from the front, look on the top most part of the frame. The series # is stamped into the metal.

Eric Q.
Eric Quarnstrom
1940 6227c
CLC #17675

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

In the "Manufacturing Information" for 1940 the following statement is made:

RADIATOR AND SHUTTER SUPPORTS are alike except for the location of the fender and tie bar bolts.

If the support is not stamped "72" you may be able to use it anyway by changing the location of the tie bar and fender bolts.

Brad
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

jbento

Excellent info.  Thank you very much!

They appear to be off of a series 62.  I think I will get them and hope the relocation process isn't too severe.  :o

Thanks again!
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

Eric Quarnstrom

Hi Joe:

I have a set of shutters for a 60s that I was going to convert as Brad mentions to fit my 62 series coupe. If you think the 60s (also a fleetwood like your 72) would be a better fit for you than the 62 series shutters, I'm willing to swap. When you do get them, PM me and we can compare the dimensions of the tie bar and fender bolt mounts.

Eric Q.

Eric Quarnstrom
1940 6227c
CLC #17675