News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

58 cadillac points

Started by g, September 20, 2008, 02:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g

hello, i just got a set of points for a 58 cadillac 365 v8, how do you put them in and set them? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

George

TJ Hopland

If its like the later GM stuff you remove the cap and rotor, both are indexed so you dont have to worry about alignment.  You can leave the spark plug wires hooked to the cap.  You will then see the points set. You then bump the starter or turn the engine by hand so the points are at their max open point. Typically there are 2 mounting screws and a screw that holds the wire that goes out to the coil and a short wire that goes to a little metal can that is right next to the points.  The can is called the condenser and is typically replaced with the points.  You install the new set and connect the wires.  The next step is to set the gap.  To set the gap you use feeler gauges just you use for setting plug gaps.  To change the gap between the contacts you turn that screw with the spring under it. Once this is set you put everything back together and connect your Dwell / Tach meter and start the engine.  Set meter to dwell and through that little door in the side of the cap turn the same screw you set the gap with till you get the proper reading on the meter.  The gap and dwell are part of the 'tune up specs'.  Gap gets you close, dwell is much more precise.  When its set properly the engine runs much better.  If your new points wear out quickly its usually the condenser being bad, it sort of quenches the arc across the contacts to make them last longer.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

57Fordman

I was wondering if you could help me with my 58 Cadillac distributor problem?  I can't turn the distributor in order to set the timing.  The hold down bolt is removed and I have tried some penetrating oil at the base of the distributor.  I posted a separate notice under 57 Fordman but so far no one has responded to it.

Thanks, Jim
Jim Blodgett
Maple Valley, WA
CLC #6405
1958 Sedan Deville Senior Car

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

The biggest problem with a stuck Distributor is that it is stuck, and sometimes, no amount of pulling, twisting, yanking etc will free it.

One suggestion would be to build up a "Dam" around the base with plasticine, and fill the area between that and the Distributor with a Penetrating Oil, and let it sit, topping it up when necessary.

This way, the oil will seep its' was down between the shaft and the block, and with an occasional attempts to twist or tap, it will eventually, hopefully, come out.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Walter Youshock

Hi, Jim.

Check your other post.  I replied yesterday...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

homeonprunehill

10-07-08
"57Ford,is there a small door in the dist.cap? I had a '57 Chevrolet, that the points were adjusted useing an allen wrench thru. the door in the dist. cap. HTH Good Luck, JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Roger Zimmermann

With the small door in the distributor cap you can only adjust the gap, not the timing.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

But, if you use a timing light and watch it while you are adjusting the dwell, you will find you are changing the timing by opening and closing the gap on the points. A change in dwell also changes base timing.

Therefore always set the dwell, THEN set the base timing.

Fins