News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

some problem about 1991 brougham

Started by wangmeng, September 20, 2008, 11:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangmeng

The gas tank leaking when add full tank of gas,and stop leaking from 2/3 or less. The battery leaking the electricity,when parking there for a week,it cant' be start.i changed a new battery,5 hours later,i check the votage with a multimeter,the votage droped to 11V from 12.5v.

TJ Hopland

Adding gas would make me think its an issue with the fill tube.  They often have a piece of hose between the section you stick the pump in and the tank itself.   Some cars it can be quite long and have several bends in it. 

THe wiper issue sounds like an issue with the 'park' circuit. The park circuit is what makes the wipers stop at the bottom when you turn them off.  On older ones it was all contained in the motor itself but on later cars I would suspect there is a switch in the motor but the rest would be in some sort of control module.

Battery drain could be a lot of things.   You could try unhooking the neg battery cable then hooking a light bulb between that cable and battery.  The light will light if there is a load.   If its a big load it will take something larger like a headlight.  Smaller something like a tail light.  If there is too much load it will just burn out the light.  With the light lit start pulling fuses till the light goes out or at least goes very dim.  You will have to jam something in the door switches so the dome/interior lights dont throw off your test.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wangmeng

Thank you very much,your reply give me most effective help.

JerRita

I had an intermittent drain in my 91 also drove us crazy for months Then one day when I parked it the locks started jumping There is a body control module behind the glove box moisture had corroded the terminals and they shorted periodicly check all your connetions for corrosion JerRita PS anyone have a medium blue or burgandy 90 to 92 brougham for sale D'elegance would be great Hi miles OK too
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

Roger H

to check for a current draw, if you undo the negative battery cable, get a test light and hook one end to the disconnected cable and the other end to the battery. Now any current flowing must go through the light and if their is a draw the bulb will be lite.  If it is lighted, start pulling fuses and if you pull the one feeding the draw the light will go out. ,   now get a wireing diagram and check all components on that circuit.

Good luck
Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

wangmeng

Hi:
   Fleetwood
Thanks for your suggestion,i would make a test when i'm free,for these days i'm busying for a renovation project,, i will report all your guys what's the problem is.

kelly

Hey,
  Once upon a time I had an Olds that would not hold a charge for more than a day or two when parked.  I had at least 4 differnt shops try to diagnose the problem, to no avail.  I had both the battery and two alternator replacements done over the course of the first 3 months I owned this used vehicle.
A very fine electrical specialty shop in Flint, Mi.  finally got it right.  It turns out that at some point the two wires in the plug that goes in the alternator ( one charges the field, I believe, and the other is the alternator light wire) had been pulled out of the connector and re-installed backword.
   Weird, but true. It's worth a look.
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

wangmeng

Thanks a lot kelly!,i will have a try.