News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

GM Heritage Tour Weekend

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, September 21, 2008, 05:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

I've just returned from a terrific weekend in the Detroit area visiting a number of historic sites celebrating 100 years of General Motors excellence along with a visit to the historic site of another well-known manufacturer, Packard.  All my thanks to the hosts of the weekend of events, Sue Pashukewich and Stuart Popp ........ everything was very well organized and very well executed.  While I didn't get to participate in all the scheduled events due to some family events planned for the same weekend, I did join Sue and Stuart and several members of the Motor City Region, along with CLC members from several adjoining states, for a tour of the GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights (if you've never toured this not-open-to-the-public collection, you're missing out on a terrific experience), the GM Headquarters on the riverfront in downtown Detroit in a complex almost better known as The Renaissance Center (the tour took us to the 77th floor of the Marriott Hotel, the tallest building in Michigan, for a birdseye view of Detroit, the Detroit River and Windsor), the Packard Grill for lunch (walls covered in Packard memorabilia) and the Packard Proving Grounds located right next door where the original buildings, designed by reknown architect Albert Kahn still stand, along with the grand boulevard lined by 76 soon-to-be stately elm trees (these new trees, imported from Georgia, are resistant to the disease that destroyed the original 76 trees that made the twin drives to the test track famous) as well approximately 1/8 mile of the original test track and the timing tower where Mr. Packard stood to watch the performance of his newest developments.

I had a very, very memorable visit to these sites thanks to the hard work and terrific planning of Sue and Stuart ....... and the weather provided was perfect as well ........ a wonderful time was had by all those who attended ........ thank you so very much for putting together such a fine weekend for us all to enjoy.

Jack McClow
Potomac Region

David King (kz78hy)

Yes indeed,  it was a wonderful weekend and the weather was better than perfect for a Michigan summer/fall day.

It's  great that so many out of state people were able and willing to attend!  I'm glad that you enjoyed the event.   I agree that leadership of our local club did an outstanding job of organizing the activities and the workarounds where needed.

Thanks for your good eyesight on the not/padlocked parking lot at the Ren Cen when the rest of the group arrived. 

David   The only one who paid for parking.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bill Podany #19567

Hello Jack,

It is nice to hear from you and thank you for all the personal assistance granted to me last year in Savannah at the Grand National.  My 41 60 Special was awarded a first place with 99.5% score in the Senior Division.  I thought your team did an outstanding job dealing with the rain, heat, and sheer number of cars to be judged.

Many personal thanks.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

homeonprunehill

09-22-08
TO: ALL, Since Jack McC mention PACKARD in his post, I just had to let people know that the Packard Name has been revieded by an engneer in phoenix, az Put the following in your search-engine,"Packard Motor Car Company, Phoenix, AZ rto see a picture and write-up of the car.
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES